Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-21-2005, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Understanding high pairs in Stud/8

[ QUOTE ]
1) The bring-in comes in with a 3, and there are three or four folds (someone folded a 6) to you with (K6)K. The highest up card behind me is a Q. I want to just raise this hand. I've almost certainly got the best high hand, and even though it's obvious you're going high I would like to make sure nobody comes in with a speculative low hand like (82)6 cheaply (since they'll be closing the action, they're more inclined to call just the bring-in). I don't mind so much if such a low calls because there's a good chance he's not going to make his low and I'll scoop him (or perhaps he'll be forced to give up after drawing bad on 4th).

Having a 6 kicker instead of a 9 kicker seems fairly inconsequential as I need to draw 4 lows in a row to make the low (although it still does give me a tiny chance to escape with a low).

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes a raise is appropriate to limit the field.
On 4th street you have to be careful with A and any cards that pair the 3rd street card as well as any 4th street card that is close to any opponents 3rd card and of the same suite.
You always need to be careful with lows, they tie up one half of the pot 70% of the time after 4th street if they have 4 low cards on 4th street. Then they freeroll you on 6th and 7th street for the high.