Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2003, 05:55 PM

Default The worst tournament play ever?

Does this win the prize?

PokerStars $30 SNG.

Down to 5 players. I have 4000. BB has 325. Blinds are 150/300.

I raise to 1000. Everyone folds to BB. BB folds, leaving him w/ 25 chips. He was still there - it wasn't an auto-fold or anything like that. He had bad cards, so he folded.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:44 PM

Default Re: The worst tournament play ever?

So, he was playing a little tight [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Stop pickin' on the poor guy!
Old 08-18-2003, 01:35 PM

Default Calling with any two

As discussed in tournament poker for advanced players, if the person raising will do so with any two cards, (i.e. YOU with a huge stack and him with only double the blind), then you should call with any two cards. The extra $25 means nothing.

This paid off for me very nicely yesterday. The player to my right had a huge stack, and raised every single time, but would rarely, if ever, raise more than 2x the BB. I was short. Blinds at 100-200, I have 400, post half to the BB. All fold, he raises. I call with 62o. He has 74o. I catch a deuce and double. Next round, blind is 400 and I have 800, posting half my stack. He of course raises and I must call, because no random hand is more than a 3:1 favorite over my two random cards. My J3o doubles again, beating his T3s when we both flop a three. Of course there is some luck to this story, but mathematically there was no luck at all, I HAD to make these calls. I wound up winning the SNG, BTW. If he knew what I knew, he would have been better off just calling, then betting no matter what came on the flop.

al
Old 08-18-2003, 02:04 PM

I saw this yesterday. Blinds at 100-200. BB is all-in for 20. All fold to SB who folds. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
BB sextupled (???) up to 120 in the process.

Old 08-18-2003, 02:16 PM

Was the SB asleep?
Old 08-18-2003, 05:33 PM

I figured he must've been disconnected or something. But the fold came after a few seconds of thinking and he was in on the next hand.

He must not enjoy money.
[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2003, 09:14 PM

I have won PP or PS SNGs after being down to 40, 50 and 65 chips (the language used by one of the opponents in the 65 chipper was quite vivid!). If your 1000 raise was early, with decent stacks to play after you and clearly not an "any two cards raise" it may not be as horrible as you make out. A chip and a chair is better than wasting even 25 on hopeless rags.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:25 PM

Default ROTFL (nm)

x
Old 08-19-2003, 11:08 AM

Default Somebody (besides the SB) screwed up

Blinds are 100-200. BB is all-in for 20. All fold to small blind.

PUT 40 IN THE MAIN POT, AND GIVE THE REMAINDER (SIDE POT) TO SB! Then run out the cards.

How on earth can the BB bet 20, and collect 100 from a single opponent?
Old 08-19-2003, 11:11 AM

Default What?

Is this a troll?

Are you seriously saying that a player who is getting, I believe, 31:1 on an all-in preflop call might be correct to fold?

If you're serious, then I'm sorry but I can't think of any kind way to put this, you're completely crazy or wildly ignorant.

The player who folded to save his last T25 was either being stupid, or was ignorant of the facts when he clicked fold. Maybe he was playing multiple games at once, and didn't realize what he was doing, but absent an explanation like that, the guy was a moron or simply completely ignorant.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)