Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 02:22 AM

Default ATs utg+2 with middle stack

I played in a live 38 person tourney. Top 5 get paid. After the break It was down to 21 people. After the break it became a NL tourney. I had a middle stack of about 6700. Blinds were 600/1200 (10 min limits went fast) 7 people at my table. I know I screwed up but help me play it right next time.

UTG (loose player)calls 1 fold Hero has A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and raised to 3600 1 fold 1 Call all folds.

Heads up

Flop 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero looks and sees 3100 left in chips and feels a little pot commited. Hero pushes all in to be told it was a string bet and can only bet 2000.

Turn Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero checks and calls his last 1100

Questions

1) What should I have done Preflop

2) Do I bet, check or push on the flop

any insight as to why and not just the answer would be appreciated.

LLL
Old 08-21-2005, 02:28 AM

Default Re: ATs utg+2 with middle stack

I don't know. Here is my analysis, although it can be wrong. However, maybe I can learn from this as well.

Let's say the duder had a hand. Obviously he had something, or he wouldn't have called your raise. I think it's safe to say he had something like AQ, AJ or maybe a PP. I don't think he would flatcall with AA/KK or AK, although AK is a possibility. Could he have a set of nines? Or an overpair? Maybe A5s? It's hard to think your ATs is ahead at this point but with so few chips, I don't think you played that too poorly.

Here are my specific answers: I like the 3xBB bet here. Says you have a hand, and to get the hell out of the way unless you have something.

As for the check/push/bet the turn, I almost think you have to push here. You have so many chips invested, and if they have a PP, you've got some outs. If they have AQ or AJ, well ... gg.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:34 AM

More Information.

The guy that called had about 8500 to start with. He was a solid player. After the flop I did'nt think my AT was good but I thought the other guy had the ability to muck AQ or AJ if I still represented AA or KK.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:38 AM

Ooooo. Yeah, I sense PP in this situation. Nothing else really makes sense. I'm anxious to hear other opinions.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:43 AM

just push preflop
Old 08-21-2005, 10:56 AM

bump
Old 08-21-2005, 11:07 AM

Push preflop. You have 5.5xBB.

Push on the flop. You are pot committed and may be ahead.