Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 09:45 AM

Default Re: Why people who \'go pro\' are the worst pro candidates...

[ QUOTE ]
I've had 4 Royals, 3 200BB down swings and a boat busted by quads MANY times - I'M READY!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao, i'm with ya buddy. GO PRO!!!
Old 08-19-2005, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I often wonder why people lose when they try to win and why winning at poker comes so easily/natuarally to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHA!
Old 08-21-2005, 12:57 AM

Your avator makes me want to shoot myself...
Old 08-21-2005, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your day job doesn't have risk, you can't have a bad run at the office and lose 90 BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not everyone's job lacks risk. I, for instance, am paid on commission. If I do well, I can make lots and lots of money. If I do poorly, well, let's try not to bring that up.

I book demonstrations over the phone; a salesman performs the demo, and sells the product.

Anyway, every week I have to gamble with my stats. My primary pay comes off a chart indexed by my revenue/demo. Early in the week, I have to estimate how much revenue I'll make, and book more or less demos based on that. If I'm off, I can be screwed. Last week for instance, my revenue was pretty low. The three demos I booked caused me to lose $200 (due to a different pay scale).

From that point, I had to hope for more sales to go through during the week, which they didn't. By the end of the week (after calling out once and leaving early once to avoid lowering the percentage even more), I didn't get any more sales, and lost $350 in total because of it.

I guess this just turned into an 'I don't like my job' rant, but the point is that not everyone has a guarenteed paycheck. I still agree with your post, however.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:37 AM

I'm one of those dreamers who hopes to someday be able to "go pro" as they say. However, I'm content with just making a profit for the next few years or so. I'm just glad I know my skill level isn't high enough to just quit my job and play some cards. :P
Old 08-21-2005, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> You moron, the post isn't a guidline for going pro, it's a rant at just how early idiots think they can go pro. You read but you don't comprehend. </pre><hr />

Well even tho this reply isn't aimed at me, I understood your point perfectly.

Thats why I made this comment

[ QUOTE ]
Do I sense jealousy and resentment in your post?

A "man I wish I could do it but don't have the nerve to try"
kinda attitude?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I didn't reply to your post, reposting it I figure you must want a reponse. I havn't been playing online for very long myself, and I currently don't live near any juicy live games. My bankroll is insufficient to go pro and I also want to finish my college education before such pipe dreams even begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel. In fact, I shouldn't say I want to finish my college education, since I still look forward to starting it.

So, no, there is no jealousy in my post, I am not angry because I have failed to go pro nor am I too scared to try. I guess the way I spoke about desk jobs and such made you assume that I was in the same position as the people I was reffering to, and if that were true my post could easily be misconstrude as having a sense of jealousy.

Get back to me in 10 years and maybe I'll have tried by then.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:46 AM

So you're not a pro, yet you're giving advice about if someone is ready or not? No offense, but who would take your advice?
Old 08-21-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> You moron, the post isn't a guidline for going pro, it's a rant at just how early idiots think they can go pro. You read but you don't comprehend. </pre><hr />

Well even tho this reply isn't aimed at me, I understood your point perfectly.

Thats why I made this comment

[ QUOTE ]
Do I sense jealousy and resentment in your post?

A "man I wish I could do it but don't have the nerve to try"
kinda attitude?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I didn't reply to your post, reposting it I figure you must want a reponse. I havn't been playing online for very long myself, and I currently don't live near any juicy live games. My bankroll is insufficient to go pro and I also want to finish my college education before such pipe dreams even begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel. In fact, I shouldn't say I want to finish my college education, since I still look forward to starting it.

So, no, there is no jealousy in my post, I am not angry because I have failed to go pro nor am I too scared to try. I guess the way I spoke about desk jobs and such made you assume that I was in the same position as the people I was reffering to, and if that were true my post could easily be misconstrude as having a sense of jealousy.

Get back to me in 10 years and maybe I'll have tried by then.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's now becoming obvious that you are in no position to give others advice when you have so little experience yourself.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In all seriousness. I think the average 18-24 year old cannot handle being a pro poker player. I think it takes more discipline than working for the man. I've read blogs and journals about the average 18 year old playing $3/6 for a living because they can make more than minimum wage. Frankly, I'd rather do real work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, I hope you are exaggerating. I don't know what you mean by going pro, but I quit my job ($6.50/hr, I got a raise when minimum wage went up, woo) back when I was at 1/2. If anyone that is 16+ and is looking for an alternative to a job that could be .5/1 and multitable, should. I think that 4 tabling .5/1 would be better than doing some form of real work for an around minimum wage pay.

I wouldn't call myself pro, but if that's what you mean by quitting your shitty teenage job to play poker, then yes I'd rather take the "variance-heavy" $12/hour at .5/1 than go to work.

Anyone who is decent at 3/6 should be able to multitable it for $50+/hr.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have encountered the following scenarios...

1) A royal flush
2) A 120 BB downswing
3) Having your boat busted by river quads

Am I ready to go pro?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP