Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 12:00 AM

Default Did I wimp out on the river?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG+2 posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, SB folds.

River: (7.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks...

This was a loose and passive table. Basically, I didn't think I'd won the hand, I figured one of the remaining two players had an ace. I checked to limit the amount of money I had to put in at the end. Maybe they'd both check as well, and if someone bet, seeing the showdown would only cost me one bet. Surely anyone still in with an Ace would not have folded had I bet.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:03 AM

Default Re: Did I wimp out on the river?

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe they'd both check as well, and if someone bet, seeing the showdown would only cost me one bet. Surely anyone still in with an Ace would not have folded had I bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you are going to c/c, you may as well bet and fold to a raise since you 'might' get a weak ace to fold. more likely you'll get paid off by a weaker 9 or a 6 that is not betting this river.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:04 AM

check/call the river

Edit: Yes betting and folding to a raise sounds better
Old 08-20-2005, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe they'd both check as well, and if someone bet, seeing the showdown would only cost me one bet. Surely anyone still in with an Ace would not have folded had I bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you are going to c/c, you may as well bet and fold to a raise since you 'might' get a weak ace to fold. more likely you'll get paid off by a weaker 9 or a 6 that is not betting this river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, if the guy's got an A2, then why would he call the flop and the turn, and fold the river? Is he hoping to pair his 2? I figure any A which has stayed in till the river is gonna call my bet.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:15 AM

Depending on opponents, you can bet/fold, check/call, or check/fold. Against unknowns, I might have to check/fold.

Against passive players who call down with very little, I bet. (I always make a note of these players - I've seen them call the river here with hands like 87 or even JT.) There are plenty of worse hands than ours that might call. (T9, J9, 77, etc.)

Keep in mind, no Ax will fold here. Only bet if you think a worse hand will call.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:23 AM

I'm just curious, did you bet the flop to protect your hand or are you value betting? The reason I'm asking is that in this type of situation, I check with 2 players to my left, an A showing, and a small pot.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Depending on opponents, you can bet/fold, check/call, or check/fold. Against unknowns, I might have to check/fold.

Against passive players who call down with very little, I bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what they were. They might have just a pair of 6's, or a pocket pair of 3's, or nothing at all. Or they might have an ace, and just be calling because I bet first.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Against passive players who call down with very little, I bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is what they were. They might have just a pair of 6's, or a pocket pair of 3's, or nothing at all. Or they might have an ace, and just be calling because I bet first.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's a clear value-bet then. The times you'll get called down by a weak A will be more than balanced by the times you'll get called down by some crap thinking you're bluffing with K-high.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just curious, did you bet the flop to protect your hand or are you value betting? The reason I'm asking is that in this type of situation, I check with 2 players to my left, an A showing, and a small pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

To protect my hand, and find out if anyone's beating me. A raise, especially at this passive table, means I'm beat at this point. I'd then check and fold the turn to a bet. Would be different if there were a maniac, or a good aggressive player in the hand, but there wasn't.

Does my thinking make sense?
Old 08-20-2005, 12:47 AM

Yep. The more I read on this website, the more I learn differences in my game compared to others. In this case, I usually will bet in this situation if I ended up pairing a K or Q, but a 9 seemed a little low. However, maybe I need to be a little more aggressive around L-P's in this case.