Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you eat it?
Too creepy for me 6 37.50%
With some fava beans and a nice chianti 10 62.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2005, 12:03 AM

Default USA Today article

Some feel this issue could damage online poker. I am among those who feel it could improve online poker. What is your position? Please explain your reasons.

My position. Poker sites should be specific about what software is allowed and what is not. They are taking the easy way out and choosing to ban software and players after the fact leaving players in an untenable position. A straightforward approach would be in the interest of all players and, indirectly, the poker sites.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:53 AM

Default Re: USA Today article

An article in US today isn't going to do dick to change the mind of a foreign company. All this will do is scare future players and thus prevent more fish from coming in.

You are increasing the fear that online sites are not safe. How can this be beneficial at all? Sure it would be great if Party, et al had better customer support and much clearer on what software they allow. But this article will put absolutely ZERO pressure on them to do so.

What makes you think this will do anything to change how online companies work?? You are further hurting software sales b/c people will be less inclined to use any programs if there is a potential ban or even worse money loss. Do yourself and the rest of us a favor and ask that the article not be published.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:33 PM

An article in US today isn't going to do dick to change the mind of a foreign company. All this will do is scare future players and thus prevent more fish from coming in.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:12 PM

How is this article going to help the future growth of online poker? It won't. All it will do is instill fear and paranoia to future players who may want to give online poker a try but will otherwise be hesitant now once they read this article.

This article will be nothing but a big disservice to the poker community.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All this will do is scare future players and thus prevent more fish from coming in.

You are increasing the fear that online sites are not safe. How can this be beneficial at all?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-15-2005, 01:00 AM

I agree this may discourage people from participating in online poker. And that is the only thing that will influence the poker sites to change their policies. Once their bottom line is affected, they may improve their customer relations, including the T&Cs.

Short-term, yes, it could hurt online poker and that would be a good thing if it results in a better environment for all players. Long-term, once the environment improves, so will the participation.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree this may discourage people from participating in online poker. And that is the only thing that will influence the poker sites to change their policies. Once their bottom line is affected, they may improve their customer relations, including the T&Cs.

Short-term, yes, it could hurt online poker and that would be a good thing if it results in a better environment for all players. Long-term, once the environment improves, so will the participation.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're simply wrong. You just don't realize the mind of the fish, and how small a minority people who care about the rulings of these debates are.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:30 AM

About a year ago I wrote an essay about the large divergence that is developing between traditional poker and online.

Since that time, nothing has occurred to change my thesis.

In that article I suggested that online rooms will eventually provide a wide range of decision support tools to any player that wants to use them.

The first such example of the developing trend was the Player Notes feature now standard on all the sites.

When the notes feature first came up, there was hesitancy to implement for various reasons. Now they all do it.

The notes feature is just the beginning. It is now manifestly evident that the next big thing in online poker is going to be FREE decision support tools available direct from the online rooms.

The first one to do this will get the early-mover advantage and enjoy increased sign-ups. Once the benefits become apparent, the rest will likely fall like dominoes.

Once that trend really gets going, online is going to diverge and evolve rapidly away from traditioal B&M.

[ QUOTE ]
In the future that is coming, online cards rooms will be forced to supply sophisticated real-time decision support tools to all players for free. Thereafter, players will be playing a all-new kind of poker where every key decision is augmented by software. These developments will be a huge and important milestone in poker's rapid evolution.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Online Divergence
Old 08-19-2005, 11:35 PM

I'm sorry but you must be kidding yourself. People will not put their money in and play against computers. I could see people doing this on free money tables to learn but players won't risk their money against computers and sites will not supply cheating programs because it will be suicide. Zero chance of this happening.

[ QUOTE ]
About a year ago I wrote an essay about the large divergence that is developing between traditional poker and online.

Since that time, nothing has occurred to change my thesis.

In that article I suggested that online rooms will eventually provide a wide range of decision support tools to any player that wants to use them.

The first such example of the developing trend was the Player Notes feature now standard on all the sites.

When the notes feature first came up, there was hesitancy to implement for various reasons. Now they all do it.

The notes feature is just the beginning. It is now manifestly evident that the next big thing in online poker is going to be FREE decision support tools available direct from the online rooms.

The first one to do this will get the early-mover advantage and enjoy increased sign-ups. Once the benefits become apparent, the rest will likely fall like dominoes.

Once that trend really gets going, online is going to diverge and evolve rapidly away from traditioal B&M.

[ QUOTE ]
In the future that is coming, online cards rooms will be forced to supply sophisticated real-time decision support tools to all players for free. Thereafter, players will be playing a all-new kind of poker where every key decision is augmented by software. These developments will be a huge and important milestone in poker's rapid evolution.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Online Divergence [/qu

ote]
Old 08-20-2005, 06:11 PM

I think that you are very wrong. Like poster above said, I don't know a lot of people who would think it is fun getting told how to bet their money against other people who are getting told how to bet their money.