Default Re: Return of the Fantasy Football Advice Column

Miller is a waste on your team.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Last question then.

Any rookie WR's you like outside of Edwards/Williamson/Williams (who are all gone)?
Old 08-19-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Last question then.

Any rookie WR's you like outside of Edwards/Williamson/Williams (who are all gone)?

[/ QUOTE ]

well a high upside guy would be vincent jackson
Old 08-19-2005, 07:53 PM

1 QB, 2 RB, 1 RB/WR, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 PK, 1 D/ST.
The scoring system is not unusual.
I pick 12th of 14.

Round by Round

1 Jamal Lewis
2 Rudi Johnson
3 Darrel Jackson
4 Nate Burleson
5 Kevan Barlow
6 Chris Brown
7 Dallas Clark
8 Rod Smith
9 Brian Griese
10 Keary Colbert
11 Carolina Panthers
12 Chester Taylor
13 Jeff Wilkins
14 Chris Perry
15 Reggie Williams

Depth Chart

QB-Brian Griese

RB-Jamal Lewis
RB-Rudi Johnson
RB-Kevan Barlow
RB-Chris Brown
RB-Chester Taylor
RB-Chris Perry

WR-Darrel Jackson
WR-Nate Burleson
WR-Rod Smith
WR-Keary Colbert
WR-Reggie Williams

TE-Dallas Clark

PK-Jeff Wilkins

DT-Carolina Panthers

Do you see any mistakes in my draft? Do you see any weak spots in my roster? If so, what players should I try to deal to shore those areas up?
Old 08-19-2005, 08:14 PM

Not really experienced in a league with this kind of depth, but what about Matt Jones or Reggie Brown as a long term pick?
Old 08-19-2005, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Last question then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Short-term, Reggie Brown and Mark Clayton have value, although I'm not sure how much value _any_ of the rookie WRs have. Rookie WRs are notoriously underperformers.

Long-term, Mark Bradley and Roddy White make my list. (So do the five above.)

Bradley is exactly the type you want -- he's a polished receiver with good size and speed. The two knocks on him are that he's a body catcher and rather stupid (did two years at juco and scored 11 on the Wonderlic), but the first is fixable and the latter irrelevant.

I don't know much about White and I'm not going to do much research, but the Falcons are really high on him, which suggests tons of opportunity.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1 QB, 2 RB, 1 RB/WR, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 PK, 1 D/ST.
The scoring system is not unusual.
I pick 12th of 14.

Round by Round

1 Jamal Lewis
2 Rudi Johnson
3 Darrel Jackson
4 Nate Burleson
5 Kevan Barlow
6 Chris Brown
7 Dallas Clark
8 Rod Smith
9 Brian Griese
10 Keary Colbert
11 Carolina Panthers
12 Chester Taylor
13 Jeff Wilkins
14 Chris Perry
15 Reggie Williams

<snip>

Do you see any mistakes in my draft? Do you see any weak spots in my roster? If so, what players should I try to deal to shore those areas up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks solid to me. I'm not sold on Perry as a backup (the "handcuff" excuse doesn't fly with me), but I'm starting to come around on him. I really like Reggie Williams in the 15th -- he is exactly the type of player to take there. I'd also not have drafted a defense, and Dallas Clark may be a bit high at 7, but he is one of the few TEs I think acceptable to draft.

Keary Colbert is a weak choice because Rod Gardner is much taller and figures to play a big role in the red zone passing game. On 3rd and 7 from their own 40, Colbert is the #2 target. On 3nd and 7 from the opposing 14, he's the #3 target. That's a good job to have, but not a good job for a fantasy WR. I'm not saying dump him, because he's clearly talented and at this point underrated (you'll not get adequate value back), but beware.

Grab Frank Gore. Barlow's job is at risk, and Gore is by all accounts a talented runner (albeit one with a bad set of knees).

In generally, this is a very strong team, especially for a 14 team league. The biggest problem you'll have is that your draft style left you a bit inflexible, in that if you trade either of your top RBs you end up with a dead spot on your roster (due to owning their real-life backups). But I'd not let that concern you.

Last note: In a 14 team league, I still find it correct to only draft one QB. However, the later your bye week, the higher chance that you'll find it hard to get a good fill-in QB. The main reason why is if you have a Wk 10 bye (the last bye week), by that point, all other 13 have had to grab another QB -- that consumes 27 starting QBs.

That all said, Griese has a week 7 bye. You may have to grab someone a week or two beforehand. My general workaround here is to target three guys who have bye weeks preceeding my guy, expecting that at least one of them will be dropped before their bye week in order to make room for a fill-in. But I try to only look a week or two in advance.

In your case, the pickings are slim. The only Week 5 QB who may be cut is Eli Manning, and while Week 6 has two (Alex Smith and Kurt Warner), only one (Warner) is worth taking. I'd probably set my sights on Eli.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dallas Clark may be a bit high at 7, but he is one of the few TEs I think acceptable to draft.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have probably taken Matt Hasselbeck here. There were still 5 mid-tier QBs available(Hasselbeck, Vick, Delhomme, Plummer, Brooks) and only 4 teams needed a starting QB, so I thought I'd wait around and pick up whichever one fell. Unfortunately, someone ended up picking Delhomme as a backup. I do project that Clark will outperform last season's numbers.

[ QUOTE ]
Grab Frank Gore. Barlow's job is at risk, and Gore is by all accounts a talented runner (albeit one with a bad set of knees).

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had second thoughts about this pick(draft was pre-exhibition season), but Barlow was one of the last starting RBs left IIRC and I am a sucker for RB depth. Frank Gore was taken in the 13th round. Should I try to swing a trade for him?

[ QUOTE ]
In generally, this is a very strong team, especially for a 14 team league. The biggest problem you'll have is that your draft style left you a bit inflexible, in that if you trade either of your top RBs you end up with a dead spot on your roster (due to owning their real-life backups). But I'd not let that concern you.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but Chester Taylor was a value pick even without his usefulness as Lewis's backup and Perry was only a slight reach and is likely roster fodder anyway.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:21 AM

Default Last Keepers?

I am in somewhat of a rebuilding mode in my keeper league. There are 7 keepers, 9 next year. 12 team league with the following starters

1 QB
2 RB
2 WR
1 WR/RB
1 WR/TE
1 TE
K
DEF
Scoring

Passing Yards (35 yards per point)
Passing Touchdowns (6)
Interceptions (-2)
Rushing Yards (15 yards per point)
Rushing Touchdowns (6)
Receptions (.5)
Reception Yards (15 yards per point)
Reception Touchdowns (6)
Return Yards (20 yards per point)
Return Touchdowns (6)
2-Point Conversions (2)
Fumbles Lost (-2)

I will definitely keep the following players

1.) C. Johnson (Cin - WR)
2.) C. Brown (Ten - RB)
3.) Ro. Williams (Det - WR)
4.) M. Bulger (StL - QB)
5.) D. Foster (Car - RB)

For my other two spots I'm not as certain. My options are

M. Muhammad
I. Bruce
E. Kennison
B. Franks
K. Winslow
B. Leftwich

I think Bruce will be one of them. For the other who would you pick?

Is Muhammed a better or worse pick than Kennison?

I have the #1 pick, and am leaning toward Cadillac Williams. When it gets back to me there may be a Larry Johnson, or Frank Gore on the board. I am trying to build a young team that will provide me with long term keepers. Should i just grab the best RB out there? Is there someone in particular I should look for who will be likely to last through 23 picks?
Old 08-20-2005, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Last Keepers?

I'd keep Winslow.