Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 05:37 AM

Default Quick impressions of Mark Blade\'s book

I just picked up Mark Blade's book 'Professional poker'

Here are some initial impressions:

It is very well organized, and covers many relevant topics like bankroll requirements, game selection, tilt, psychology, and internet play. Thats just the beginning though. For a complete list of the table of contents go to www.markblade.com

It is very well written. Mark's prose is crisp, and precise. He has a gift for articulating complex events, and ideas that would make him a successful writer of non-fiction materal not related to poker. This book is a joy to read.

Mark is very intelligent, and puts a lot of thought into everything he says. He likes to examine issues from different sides, and seems very objective and analytical.

The binding is excellent, and the cover is professionally designed.

I look forward to posting more complete information on this book within the next few days.

Best regards,
Snowball
Old 08-19-2005, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Quick impressions of Mark Blade\'s book

I finished reading the book. I enjoyed the read very much. It is mostly about the non strategy aspect of playing poker for a living. This was something that I had not read a whole lot about and didn't have a ton of experience and wisdom in (started playing in sept '03, turn 21 in Oct).

The voice of the book is very easy to read and keeps the readers attention while still stressing the important concepts.

I had been entertaining the thought of quitting my day job and play poker professionally while going to college. I was confident in my game but still lacked the wisdom and experience from playing poker for a long time. This book helped fill that hole and gave me a better understanding of what is required when you're playing poker professionally.

After I finished reading the book I put my two weeks in at my job. I feel like the book has a lot of good content but isn't necessary for every poker player. If you plan on just playing in your spare time and will have a paycheck to keep things stable, this probably isn't a must read for you.

Also looking forward to his next two books.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:07 PM

What did you think of his section on poker books? It seemed like he left his criticism at the door in that chapter.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What did you think of his section on poker books? It seemed like he left his criticism at the door in that chapter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes..I agree. He praised Lou Krieger as a notable and respected writer which may in part be due to Krieger putting his own plug for his book. The problem with his recommendation is that he recommends that readers use Krieger's colour hand chart as a easy reminder for pre-flop selection. Last time, I checked..that chart had some errors in it.

Then he checks out any modesty out the door by plugging his next two books as the final word on poker. Perhaps it is, perhaps not but he's being a bit arrogant by saying it before it actually exists.

I have the book and have not finished it yet..I do agree that there are some great insights in this book and I am sure that Mark intended this book to be as great but I found the tone a bit self serving during parts of the book.