Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 05:25 PM

Default fold any 1 pair to a raise.always.

this is some advice i got recently,i wrote it down and posted where i could see it always.i try but...
am i going to end up sucking later if i keep looking these guys up?
this table has been awesome.the other tag at this table got all that $ with an AA,it looked so easy.Even i can tell these guys are very Bad players.(not good)
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (8 handed) converter

Button ($45.70)
Hero ($58.50)
BB ($48.85)
UTG ($40.90)
UTG+1 ($283.85)
MP1 ($52.30)
MP2 ($62.85)
CO ($41.22)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $1.75</font>, BB calls $1.50, UTG calls $1.50, MP2 calls $1.50.

Flop: ($8) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, BB folds, UTG calls $7, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $14</font>, Hero calls $7, UTG calls $31.90 (All-In), MP2 calls $46.85 (All-In), Hero calls $42.50 (All-In).

Turn: ($164.25) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 3 all-in)</font>

River: ($164.25) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 3 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $164.25
Do you hate the call on the flop?how bout if i say i want the overcall?i think i might have folded to a push had i been RE raised here.cause of my new rule.thanks
Old 08-19-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Re: fold any 1 pair to a raise.always.

raise more out of the blinds. there are 2 limpers there already and you only raise to 4xbb. you are giving them nice implied odds with your hand that is hard to improve with.

utg's line looks suspiciously like a set.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:38 PM

No offense, but this looks like you didn't think about what the villains had. Look at that flop. T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. That's junk, and they are going WILD behind you. Here you have to ask yourself if you still think you are a favorite against the combination of both their hands. Maybe you thought you were, and maybe others will disagree with me, but this looks for all the world to me like an overpair/possible set versus a draw behind you, or maybe even a set over set.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:44 PM

If I folded one pair to a flop raise, (especially the mini-raise) every time, I'd have saved myself a ton of money over time.

With 5 players going to the flop I don't really feel good about my hand. When you're raised, you simply have to fold the hand. There are exceptions, but you need a pretty good read.

The big problem that I have is that I see the mini-raise as great pot odds, when in reality the mini-raise puts so much money in the flop that putting the rest of your stack in is very likely. Also, how do you continue the hand? I really have no idea. Lead the turn and you're pretty committed.

My usual line in hands like this is to fold or push. I'd push 33,77,1010,AKs,ATs and fold the rest.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:58 PM

"fold any 1 pair to a raise.always."

Good advice. Not sure I would take it to that extreme, but good advice nonetheless.

Do yourself a favor. Open PT, click on the "Ring" icon, and then click on the "Misc. Stats" tab. So how much money you have won when your final hand is One Pair.

I already know the answer for you (and you probably do too) but look anyway. I make more money on people that overvalue top pair than any other way.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:01 PM

none taken.Maybe im being Results oriented,but over the last couple of months,i think ive been conditioned to think wild=nothing.A lot.(at these levels anyhow)i think i would be really nervous,if they had taken it slower.i agree with you completely,except i thought more than usual,i had been watching,licking my lips, rubbing my hands together.i almost timed out.i would not have been suprised to be beat,but i thought i had Good reads on these guys.im having problems deciding what to do in these situations.will i optimize my win rate by playing safe?er.im currently @~17/5/3 went to sd 20 wonsd&lt;50&gt;45%
Old 08-19-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So how much money you have won when your final hand is One Pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
im looking at my last 12000 hands nl50.it says (-629).however,when i check"show hands not folded"it says +656.second only to 3 of a kind @676.i am suprised as you,thanks for the advice but this confuses me more.Am i making good reads?lucky?
Old 08-19-2005, 07:00 PM

I don't mind putting my money in "with just a pair," but I don't think this is the time for it. You have two people going crazy behind you. I take it you won this hand, but I don't like it. There's a time for calling all-in with one pair, but this isn't it.