Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 09:32 AM

Default In the SB with 99, 6-max family pot

The CO in this hand was a strange one, very loose but passive preflop and quite agressive postflop. His aggression has not been completely misguided; he seems to be playing postflop pretty well and he has been catching cards.

The BB and UTG are both typically bad, with the BB almost entirely clueless to the point of not being able to read the board.

My flop play was a failed attempt at a checkraise.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP folds, CO calls, Button folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, CO calls.

River: (14 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>...

Edit: Removed the river reaction to my bet.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:08 AM

Default Re: In the SB with 99, 6-max family pot

I like your flop check betting out does nothing to protect your hand and I understand your call the flop bet and wait for a safe turn card which you got but I probably would have wussed out and gone ahead and bet the turn and if I was gonna lead a safe turn card then I would have gone ahead and check/raised the flop.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:12 AM

I raise preflop and lead the flop.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This can't be a clear preflop raise. I doubt you'd raise 88.

Why lead the flop into 5 players? I wasn't sure a checkraise would work, but I thought it was worth a try. I'm pretty sure a failed checkraise and a bet results in the same size pot on the turn with the same players.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:26 AM

Preflop: Raise is an option, but ill call here.
Flop: I raise here, Chances are your ahead(Not many flop straights) although raising wont kick the OESD out, It will charge them more and BB may reraise meaning they face 2 cold.

Turn:What does CO have? Set? Straight? 3bet looks good actually, after him not capping though... Straight/Set seems unlikly.

River: Not much to be said? I bet here also and call a raise.

does my play suck?
Old 08-19-2005, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This can't be a clear preflop raise. I doubt you'd raise 88.

Why lead the flop into 5 players? I wasn't sure a checkraise would work, but I thought it was worth a try. I'm pretty sure a failed checkraise and a bet results in the same size pot on the turn with the same players.

[/ QUOTE ]

99 to me is a clear raise, 88 is borderine (IMHO)

I think you "accidentally" stumbled on a good line though, wait till the turn and act then(equity goes from "pretty good" on flop, then skyrockets on a non-[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] turn undercard), although I would have led into the turn rather than C/R it
Old 08-19-2005, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you "accidentally" stumbled on a good line though, wait till the turn and act then(equity goes from "pretty good" on flop, then skyrockets on a non-[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] turn undercard), although I would have led into the turn rather than C/R it

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the feeling that leading any street in this hand wasn't going to fold any overcards out, and nobody with a draw or a piece was going anywhere either. That's a good read on your part though, the initial plan for the turn was not to checkraise, but I happened into it.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:53 AM

nice line
Old 08-19-2005, 11:09 AM

Nobody with a flush draw or oesd is folding no matter what you do.

Leading the flop probably will fold overcards and 4s, so that bet provides some protection as well as being for value.

Going for a check-raise is risky since we don't know where the bet is coming from, but if it works we'll be happy. This action might drive out some five-outers that might have called one bet.

Waiting for the (safe) turn to raise doesn't protect our hand on the flop, but it does push a bigger edge than we have on the flop.

I don't know that any of these lines is unambiguously better than another. If you had no chance to protect (like in the "two overpair hands" example, then this would be a great time to wait for the turn. If a PFR had come from late position, this would be an obvious check-raise. Since neither of those conditions are present I tend to just lead out but it isn't the kind of thing I feel real strongly about.

Edit: Although like I said before, I'm usually raising this preflop, which means I'm defintely leading this flop.