Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 12:49 AM

Default PF raise, followed by a daring check/fold

Everyone involved is a loose passive, save the person to my right in the CO, who is a laggy sumbyatch who likes to make plays (30/10/2).

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds, Button folds, BB folds.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:13 AM

Default Re: PF raise, followed by a daring check/fold

Getting just over 5:1 and considering that you have 10 outs unless you are against a 7 or reverse dominated I think you should call. You will almost always pick up a river bet when you hit, and there's even a slim possibility your hand is best against villain's QT.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:20 AM

I think this is all right.

You could take a stab at the flop and hope it didn't hit anyone, but I think its semi-coordinated two-flush nature will likely give someone a reason to stay in. Which would leave you, if you're completely unimproved on the turn, following up with a bet that might or might not work.

However, you could drive out ace-rag while getting called by a gutshot or flush draw. And while you wouldn't be much of a favorite over even a gutshot anyway, I might have taken a stab, without really expecting to take it down, and gone from there.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Getting just over 5:1 and considering that you have 10 outs unless you are against a 7 or reverse dominated I think you should call. You will almost always pick up a river bet when you hit, and there's even a slim possibility your hand is best against villain's QT.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we're only drawing to the gutshot most of the time. This guy wasn't betting air. I think a turn call is pretty bad. I also felt that a flop bet wasn't doing anything on this board, except get me a free turn card, where a monster from one of these guys could easily check and bet the river. Should I not be worrying about things like that? i.e., I'm posting this because it seems weak, but didn't thin so at the time. But these situations come up often enough I want others thoughts.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:23 AM

Even loose passives take stabs at pots nobody wants. I think it's close with the turned gutshot, but UTG making the bet and the LAG later makes me unhappy enough to fold it also.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:24 AM

Is it Button who in fact is the LAG? I ask because the turn decision does seem close to me. But facing a raise or checkraise behind you would suck.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it Button who in fact is the LAG? I ask because the turn decision does seem close to me. But facing a raise or checkraise behind you would suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Are you thinking it's likely he'll get fancy pants on me with air like I did? That was definately part of my thought process.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Are you thinking it's likely he'll get fancy pants on me with air like I did? That was definately part of my thought process.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind of doubt he'll raise with air against a bet and a call (although you were at the table and I wasn't, and who knows?), but he could have just picked up a gutshot, for instance, if not a pair. I mean, you have a gutshot yourself, but paying two bets to see the river, or paying a bet hoping to see the river and then folding when it comes back two more to you (the turn bettor could've been slowplaying a 7), wouldn't be much fun.

I don't know. I think I'd nervously call, ordinarily, but having the LAG to act behind you complicates things.