Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Re: The Dreaded..........MIN-RAISE!

[ QUOTE ]
Definitely getting free cards are great. I think this thread is refering to min-raise pf though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woops...i assumed he meant if it was ever a good play. Im sure most of us have used the min-raise in the SB when everyone has folded to you pre-flop. Also, min-raises in tourneys are very effective as the blinds reach higher levels. If youre one of the leaders you can steal a lot of blinds using this method as you approach the money and smaller stacks tighten up.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:32 PM

In ring NL games, I'll min raise a lot with sets on the flop on uncoordinated boards. I don't want to lose the opponent, allow myself to build a bigger pot and increase my chances of getting paid when I 3/4 pot the turn and river. And often times it will lead to large reraises allowing me to push.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:38 PM

yes but i dont min raise with AA KK
only with J10 98 etc,
Old 08-17-2005, 09:13 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Definitely getting free cards are great. I think this thread is refering to min-raise pf though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woops...i assumed he meant if it was ever a good play. Im sure most of us have used the min-raise in the SB when everyone has folded to you pre-flop. Also, min-raises in tourneys are very effective as the blinds reach higher levels. If youre one of the leaders you can steal a lot of blinds using this method as you approach the money and smaller stacks tighten up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still advocate a 2.5x the BB raise in these spots, a min-raise won't always get them to give up their blinds, but the blinds/antes are pretty significant at that point, and many of the shorter-stacks will drop to a 2.5x the BB raise
Old 08-17-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure most of us have used the min-raise in the SB when everyone has folded to you pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a TERRIBLE spot to mini-raise. You are giving the BB 3-1 to call you with position. Yuck!
Old 08-18-2005, 09:14 AM

i've started using the min raise preflop in cutoff or button, pocket pair 22-66, with limpers in front of me

reasons are
confuses opponents, often letting me see a free turn card if i miss the flop
doubles the size of the pot if i hit a set
in the cutoff a min raise often buys the button
if i miss, i only put out a small bet, and dont feel the need to chase bad money with good.

postflop, i rarely use it
Old 08-18-2005, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

How about if you hold 10/10 and min-raise and he has Q/J suited? Now he's almost coin-flipping with you and still getting 3-1 on his money, great odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its only a coin flip sitution if your min raise puts him or you all in.

--Zetack

On the other hand, he is 30 percent to hit one of his cards on the flop so 3-1 is still pretty close to a good price for his call.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:11 AM

The only time I really like the min raise preflop late in a sng with a few players left and you have a huge chiplead. I'll often raise just about anything the min amount. Even if the short stack is getting priced in to call they often won't just because it is too much of their stack.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sit and go's, preflop, <5 people left, high blinds, kings or aces.

The min raise late in in sit and goes makes it look like you're trying to take the blinds. I can't count how many times people will just push all in, trying to call bullsh1t on you with their KJ or A6. The min raise is a great tool.

-Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't count the number of times I've called from the BB with absolute [censored] because I'm getting 3.5-1 on my money then proceeded to catch a hand and crush min-raise-moron's high pocket pair. The best part is when I bust them and they whine that I don't know how to play because I called a raise with 74o.

There's a time and a place for everything. I've used min-raises before. But it's very rare for me to not find a better line. WAY too many people misuse this online.

[/ QUOTE ]

You defend 74o out of position and heads up for 1/2 of your stack near the bubble of a SNG just cuz you're getting 3.5-1? That can't be a good line....

-Matt
Old 08-18-2005, 11:42 PM

I will min-raise sometimes to always keep my opponents guessing as to what I have.. If I came in for 4 times the blind on AK or AA and showed it down.. maybe now I'll come in for the minraise