Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 09:04 PM

Default goin for overcalls

I know i made one mistake by not lookin at all my playeres here on river before i made my decision. I must admit i thought with this many playeres someone hade made the straight but i didnt think it a bad decision to go for overcalls here what do ya think

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

River: (10.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, MP2 folds
Old 08-18-2005, 09:56 PM

Default Re: goin for overcalls

I think you should have raised the river.

I want a little more action in the hand before I go for overcards with a hand like this. I can see calling if you suspect CO has KQ for the str8. My guess is he hit a lower 2 pair and you left some money on the table.

Do you have any reads?

Let's say CO is holding AT, or A2, or JT, do you think you will get any more action from him if you raise?

At .50/1 I would value raise every chance I get. You never know, you might get overcalls even if you raise.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:05 PM

i agree that i missed out on a few extra bets but i didnt think raise would get me any more than one bet while i was sure id get at least one if not both limpers to call it just didnt happen that way. No real specific read here . NOne of the players stuck out in my mind so i put them middle of road which is why i felt someone had a fifty fifty chance of drawing out on me

doesnt extra people in hand make it a good spot for overcall with the good chance of being drawn out on here. If not why? Do you not make an overcall with less than three players yet to act? id appreciate your input
Old 08-18-2005, 10:06 PM

The A is a relatviely scary card for the field, and the fact that you're donkbet into makes it less likely that they'll stick around. I raise here.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:18 PM

eegh you dont think that the ace helped someone out. these two have done nothin but call the whole way. why would they change now. Im certainly not sayin im right but i would like to know why this isnt a clear cut overcall situation. In all likelihood i have the best hand with two to act. What makes this a raise no brainer?
Old 08-18-2005, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
while i was sure id get at least one if not both limpers to call it just didnt happen that way. No real specific read here .

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you be so sure if you have no reads? That just doesn't make sense.

[ QUOTE ]
doesnt extra people in hand make it a good spot for overcall with the good chance of being drawn out on here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really understand this statement.

If the river would have been an undercard, like a 3-6, then I might think an overcall would come. Like Eeegah said, the A is a scare card and they would proably fold even if you folded.

I rarely go for overcalls. I like over cold-calls. I think you would be much better off at the party 50 just raising your good hands and not worrying too much about this.

I'm not discounting your post. I know the goal of this forum and poker in general is to make the most money, but I don't think this is the situation you want for overcalls.

SSH has a good example. If you had been bet into on the flop and raised and had 2 cold callers, I think you might be better off. They must have liked something about that flop and might call for 'just one more'.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What makes this a raise no brainer?

[/ QUOTE ]

In all likelihood i have the best hand with two to act.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
eegh you dont think that the ace helped someone out. these two have done nothin but call the whole way. why would they change now. Im certainly not sayin im right but i would like to know why this isnt a clear cut overcall situation. In all likelihood i have the best hand with two to act. What makes this a raise no brainer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should it? Let's suppose the guy isn't bluffing, and is betting into you with a weak ace hoping to crack your Kings. We now know where three of the aces are, and it's fairly unlikely that one of them has it. Even if they do, only one opponent can have it and the other is almost guaranteed to fold. Thus, if you call the most you can hope for is for one player to call, making you the same amount as if you raised.

If you can be reasonably sure that he's bluffing then it might be a different story.

Edit: oh yeah, and if one of them did happen to be holding an ace they'd likely bet this river themselves.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:31 PM

your right in that only read i had was that until this point these two had acted like lps. i admit that is weak reasoning.

what i had meant in my other reeply was the chance to win two bets versus the one bet i was sure to get from the raiser.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:33 PM

gp eeegh makes sense and just another case of not thinkin things thru before i act. tks