Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Do you keep playing or quit?

I guess it depends on what you mean by "defeating" it. Someone is only going to be defeated if we're playing a freeze out. I'm sure you don't think it's going to be a winning tournament strategy. I also can't imagine you think you're always going to come out ahead of the other players at a table. If someone's playing that strategy at a table it's not that difficult to spot and adjust to. So, if you and I are at the same table, you end up with a small profit. I end up with a larger profit.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:43 PM

By "defeat" I meant that you will not be able to keep me from making money. I also don't believe this would be a winning tournament strategy, though it is very similar to the way one should play the early-stages of a SNG. Yes of course this system is vulnerable to variance as is any, on any given night I could lose money doing this. However over the long run I would expect to show a small profit regardless of what anyone did to try and counter it. Also for the record I don't believe this resembles anything close to an optimal strategy, I can make much more playing my regular game. I do believe though that it is the simplest safest way to milk out a small profit. JMO
Old 08-18-2005, 07:04 PM

OK, then I don't think we disagree.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:27 PM

To "defeat" someone at poker is to take money from them, not to prevent them from taking money from other people.

It seems to me you should be able to beat Miller's strategy by aggressively stealing blinds, and not giving them any action when they make their large bets, unless your hand compares favorably with the Miller strategy hand range.