Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Opinions please on my MTT results so far

I'm really not trying to be an ass. You don't have any numbers. Your inquiry is just like saying, "i've played in 2 1000 player tourneys, i've won one. is this a good percentage?" the variance in mtts is huge, and you need to understand that you may go many tourneys w/o placing in the money.

of course, i am not a successful MTTer, so i guess i'm not in a position to answer your question anyway.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:26 PM

I'd also be curious to know, for those of you who have played many MTTs, what ITM% or ROI you have.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've recorded 41 MTT's. ITM 10 times. Top 20 8 times. Final table 2 times, with a 6th & 5th place finish. Did have one 11th place finish. 6 of my moneys were is 220- fields & 3 were in rebuys (6th place finish was 1). And yes, I have made a profit, but not anywhere as much as I would like.
My question is how good, bad, average is my production so far?

[/ QUOTE ]

Aside from small sample size (which you note), you haven't provided enough info... What level of MTT are you playing, what is your ROI, and what is your ROT (Return on Time, or hourly rate)?
Old 08-19-2005, 04:52 AM

I thought I mentioned the enrty fee part in the original post. Mostly $50 +5 & $10 rebuys. There are a couple of 30 & 20's too.
Hourly I really don't have an idea because I don't keep up with that. And since I play while I'm at work, the hourly rate isn't that important too me. What's important is making a profit, a GOOD profit. My profit isn't good. Honestly I'm not exactly sure of the ROI formula either.
I'm just trying to get an idea if my ITM% & final table%, so far, is close to what the PROFITABLE & successful MTT'ers' %. The other thing I was wondering is the number of tournaments per week that the MTT'ers like colson, sirio, jjprod, johnbax, etc. usually play? I'm thinking that if I want to increase my overall profit, then I probably need to play in more tournaments than I do right now.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:38 AM

Hey folks - my first post here (perhaps that is obvious [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I was going to ask about the level at which you were playing but you have answered that. I have to ask, however, if you are "playing to win, and make a good profit", how can you expect to give it your full attention if you are doing this while at work ? Or are you in a job where you sit and stare at a computer screen all day and have no distractions ?

Now I am curious about MY ROI as I have recently started playing SNG's for cash and, having started with $5 that I won in a freeroll, and have turned that into over $100 by playing SNGs, coming in the money every time I have entered one this past week, and wondering if it is time to move up another level - but we aren't here to talk about me, are we ? I am only playing in $1.50 and $3.00 SNGs, but 3 first place finishes, 4 second place finishes and 1 3rd place finish - now how much does anyone want to bet that those numbers will not mean anything this time tomorrow ? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Considering I am playing at that level, I am guessing that most people don't have a clue, and, since I do, I am getting good results, but as I move up the ranks, I expect to find more resistance and the question becomes at what level does your own personal performance suffer - and why?

I should add that my time investment in these SNGs is about an hour and a half each, as the $1.50 ones are 35 people and the $3.00 ones are 40 people, so they don't take long - I figure it is about $20 an hour - not bad for such a small investment, and since I am learning, it is a bonus, but tempts me to try a higher level... Oops - there I go trying to steal the thread... Sorry!

Raise!
Old 08-19-2005, 06:44 AM

Actually, I have a LOT less distractions at work than I do at home.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hourly I really don't have an idea because I don't keep up with that. And since I play while I'm at work, the hourly rate isn't that important too me.

[/ QUOTE ]

We'll all be left wondering what you do for work that you have multi-hour blocks of downtime. That issue aside, your ROT is still important to understand whether its worth your time to be playing MTTs vs the opportunity cost of not playing ring games over the same time period.

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly I'm not exactly sure of the ROI formula either

[/ QUOTE ]

ROI = Return on Investment = Profit/Cost (*100 to express as %).

As an example... 40 50+5 Tournaments, avg time per tourn = 4 hrs, Total tourn winnings = $3300...

Cost = 40*$55 = $2200
Profit = $3300 - $2200 = $1100
Time = 40 * 4 Hrs = 160 Hrs

ROI = ($1100/$2200) * 100 = 0.5 * 100 = 50%
ROT = $1100/160Hrs = $6.88/Hr