Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2003, 09:43 PM

Default If you don\'t lose a lot of money with set over set...

...you aren't being agressive enough. I've often heard/read that. So how's this?

Online $3/$6. I'm dealt 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the small blind. All fold to the cutoff, who open-limps. I complete my small blind and felt that it was wrong the second I did it... I think I would probably fold if I was paying attention (I would raise if I was the button in the same spot, but I don't really want to play my small pair heads up out of position...)

Anyway, the big blind raises, the cutoff calls, and I call getting 5:1 on this second call and reasonably sure I can extract the other three small bets postflop.

The flop comes 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I have bottom set on a board with a couple of draws that I'm not too concerned about (given there are only three of us in), so I check hoping to check raise the big blind. Unfortunately, he checks, but the cutoff bets and I go ahead and raise anyway. The big blind calls two cold and the cutoff calls.

The turn comes 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I bet, the other two call.

The river comes Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I bet, the big blind raises, the cutoff folds, I three-bet, the big blind caps, I lose to KK.

So, the only points that I think are worth debating are the preflop call (which I think is pretty bad), the flop check-raise (which I think is good), and the river three-bet (which I thought was fine at the time, but am now doubting...) At the time, I thought the three-bet could mean that buddy had two pair (but that would have to be KQ, and why didn't he raise me on the flop if that's what he had?) or was getting cute slowplaying an overpair. What does everybody else think?
Old 08-15-2003, 09:54 PM

Default Re: If you don\'t lose a lot of money with set over set...

Just be happy he didn't win more. I think he played his hand horribly postflop. I complete in the SB 100% of the time preflop.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:56 PM

Just realized it was 3/6 which I assume means 1/3 blinds. Raise or fold preflop.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:09 PM

That is correct, small blind is $1, big blind is $3.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:19 PM

there was a straight draw along with the flush draw by the turn so maybe his cold call on the flop wasn't so bad but his call on the turn was garbage. i suppose there isn't much you can do. good thing he didn't raise on the turn or you would have lost more.

i know, i know, i'm not being very helpful. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]