Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Improving my post-flop play

I did a little of that this morning. I had joined a fullring $25 NL table with $15 just thinking that I could maybe catch a hand in the 20 mins before work (terrible habit, I know) but in the 5 hands while I waiting for the Blinds to come around, I saw two aggros beat each other up for 1/3 - 1/2 of their stacks on each hand. They were showing mostly paint cards, but nothing spectacular when combined with the board. Well, the blinds came around and I was dealt 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (perfect)

aggro1 raises to $2, I call, aggro2 calls.
board comes 2 hearts and a club, aggro1 raises to $5, (Deciding that I didn't want Captain Aggro to push me off my hand on the turn) I didn't even hesitate before pushing. Aggro2 called.
I Flushed on the river to crack her Aces (aggro2 had 10-9o).

She called me a fishy [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2005, 11:11 AM

I hate to sound like a moron but...

What's "6m"?
Old 08-18-2005, 11:17 AM

6-max tables.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is focussing on my opponents' tactics when I'm out of the hand good enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that will certainly help. Not only focus on their plays/moves and how they react to scare cards, but even more importantly try to imagine what cards they hold. They check/called a 2-flush flop and then checked the turn? They re-raised PF and then open-raised the size of the pot on a K-high flop? They limp-min-reraised in early position PF and open-pushed a flop of Q94? They made a standard raise in MP before the flop, checked a flop of low cards, and bet the pot when a Q turns?

At the low-stakes NL, I think it's pretty easy most of the time to read what the average player is betting, you just need to pay attention to what they do on every street leading up to that decision and if you consider all the possibilities, after a while you'll begin to see that more often than not they do this with Ax, and that with - shoot, I'm rambling.

Anyway, not only watch what plays they make, but imagine what cards they would do that with.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:11 PM

i'm chiefly an NL player, but for the past few months I've been playing a hell of a lot of limit 6-max, and i've found it's done wonders for my NL 6-max postflop game. i'm finally figuring out where and how to push small edges and getting a better sense of when my hand is best and how people play certain hands in certain situations.

i find that the limit structure strips away a lot of the complexities of big bet poker and gives me a different way of looking at it. anyway, just my $.02.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:57 PM

Oh...okay.

Those are the ones I got my head beaten in at before I found SnGs. Hopefully now it will go a little better.