Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 05:37 AM

Default $15/$30, 99, protected pot

10-handed. My second orbit on the table. I have been quite active preflop without winning any pots. I open raise 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] MP, next guy (not horrible but too soon to say anything else) 3-bets, folded to horrible BB who calls (seems to take any two cards to river no matter what the action), I cap (standard because of the dead money BB?), both call. Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. BB checks. Give me a line.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:39 AM

Default Re: $15/$30, 99, protected pot

bet/fold
Old 08-18-2005, 06:35 AM

PF cap sucks. The way you played it, bet/fold. If called then get rid of it on the turn.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:52 AM

I don't like the pre flop cap at all.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:53 AM

My reasoning for capping preflop:
- My image is somewhat aggressive preflop (i've had a bunch of nice starting hands which failed to connect)
- BBs handrange is any two cards discounting premium hands which he probably would have capped
- If the guy on my left 3-bets me with sklansky groups 1-3 my pot equity is more than my fair share

I'll admit it's a very small edge at best and I have to assume the 3-bettor is slightly overly aggressive here.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
- My image is somewhat aggressive preflop (i've had a bunch of nice starting hands which failed to connect)
- BBs handrange is any two cards discounting premium hands which he probably would have capped
- If the guy on my left 3-bets me with sklansky groups 1-3 my pot equity is more than my fair share

I'll admit it's a very small edge at best and I have to assume the 3-bettor is slightly overly aggressive here.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you know your edge is small at best,(and i think your judgement is correct here)Then use your position as the deciding variable. You are out of position to the 3 bettor. This factor alone should influence you to just call, especially since you cant make this a heads up confrontation. About the flop, very close between checking and folding and betting out. Both lines are close enough in expectation to be reasonable. Since you capped, a lead out bet looks right only if you think your opponent is the type to lay down a hand like QQ on this board. If not than just check and fold and live to fight another day.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:17 AM

Default Results

I ended up checking the flop, 3-bettor bet, BB called and I folded. Turn brought a K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], check-check. River total blank, check-check. BB proudly flips over 95o (no diamond) and 3-bettor tops that with 77 including a diamond. Yuck.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If you know your edge is small at best,(and i think your judgement is correct here)Then use your position as the deciding variable. You are out of position to the 3 bettor. This factor alone should influence you to just call, especially since you cant make this a heads up confrontation. About the flop, very close between checking and folding and betting out. Both lines are close enough in expectation to be reasonable. Since you capped, a lead out bet looks right only if you think your opponent is the type to lay down a hand like QQ on this board. If not than just check and fold and live to fight another day.

[/ QUOTE ]

position is clearly important.

would you cap TT in OP's spot.? how about 88? imo the former is a cap and the latter a call. therefore, 9s, as a cutoff hand, can't be a "horrible" or "bad" cap. its just not optimal imo.

but for me the deciding factor isn't just position. its the exact description of the BB. if the cap would yield some folding equity where people WOULD fold before seeing all 5 cards then its a must b/c 9s wont hold up enough unimproved vs. 2 opponents 1 of whom is guaranteed to see all 5 cards and call regardless.

similarly, if the pf 3bettor fears the OP then the cap is good because he can manipulate him out of the pot. but here i dont think thats likely to happen. here, the cap only bloats the pot with no additional folding equity. instead of 9.5sbs now thereare 12.5sbs. if OP calls the 3bet then he can check fold a AdTd4x flop. since he capped, he now bets and folds to a raise. the cap + the flop bet is a fullbig bet. id rather save that bb for my winnings than dish it out on this cap and flop bet.

-Barron

PS- oh yea...one point about bloating the pot is that it makes the opponents' post flop mistakes smaller or it makes them correct plays.