Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 08:02 PM

Default Re: On hand reading and showing off

[ QUOTE ]
What if he bets a jack or ten river with his 77 that was 3 bet and gets the JT to fold because his 3 bet convinces JT the straight outs are the only good cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

What if an incompetent elections administrator in Palm Beach designs a confusing ballot so that 5% of the Holocaust survivors vote for Buchanan, then the insane Cabinet chosen by the nefarious VP-selector who chose himself sees a national tragedy as an opportunity to kick the Arab tail they wanted to kick twelve years before, a tail-kicking conceived with such massive incompetence by the civilian leadership that the most powerful and principled military in human history manages only to spark a clash of civilizations otherwise unimaginable?

Nah, heck with it, how likely is that? I'm votin' for Nader.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:07 PM

the 77 tag announcing that JT is no good is doing it because he cannot fully control his ego. i dont think anyone will argue that saying this is +ev and it should be pretty obvious that saying this is greatly -ev. the only possibilities that i could see where saying this would be +ev is from outside the table factors, such as impressing someone at the table who is going to bankroll you.

great post jimmy. im not sure if this thread really has any content but its interesting nonetheless and has possibilities.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:35 AM

Is it better, as Andy reasonably says, to 'keep em guessing' or to have them quit taking shots at you (as Clark and others are always bemoaning as a metagame risk)?

In the latter case you keep yourself from having to guess as much.

I think this is what the EV question here boils down to. Can you win respect at the table that earns you free showdowns and such, enough to counterbalance the payoffs you might not get from players apt to scorn their opponents as fish?

On balance I think Andy is right. But I'm not sure it's self-evident. Button's spirit in this hand must have been at least a little cracked, if not broken.

JimmyV
Old 08-18-2005, 12:40 AM

my thoughts precisely, well sort of. button is probably rattled, or he should be. if you have enough of a read on the button that you can take advantage of him like this, and you let him know this, what is stopping him from picking up his stuff and changing tables?