Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Being single, young, and buying a house

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I should also mention that I have another small income (about 500/mo and growing) from that which shall not be mentioned. (not poker, the other thing.)

[/ QUOTE ]

You cokequestion's dealer?

[/ QUOTE ]

You found my real account!
Old 08-17-2005, 02:29 PM

he said townhouse, so he's gotta have homeowners...add on 200/month for that. This sort of payment would cripple me if I didn't have my wifes income too (at least it would feel like it) and I make nearly double him...this is a really bad idea. Course I have hobbies fishing/golf, etc. either way he won't have much disposable income after factoring in all the additional expenses of home ownership.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I should also mention that I have another small income (about 500/mo and growing) from that which shall not be mentioned. (not poker, the other thing.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah ok, you sell drugs. No need to hide it.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he said townhouse, so he's gotta have homeowners...add on 200/month for that. This sort of payment would cripple me if I didn't have my wifes income too (at least it would feel like it) and I make nearly double him...this is a really bad idea. Course I have hobbies fishing/golf, etc. either way he won't have much disposable income after factoring in all the additional expenses of home ownership.

[/ QUOTE ]

I own a regular house and I only pay about $700 per year in Chicagoland, not $2400, and my house is more than $250K by quite a bit. You should find a new agent if he is charging you that much.

When I lived in a townhouse, I only had to buy condo insurance since the building was covered by the association dues. If the building is not covered, then yes, he will owe more that $25. I would guess about $45-$50 unless he goes to your guy.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:37 PM

we are getting hammered in texas.....our quote is 1800/yr and we shopped it...but then again we have hurricanes.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:43 PM

Hey Jack, want some real good advice? Don't buy, just rent. Owning real estate is not a great investment these days and you will not make much when you sell unless u've lived there for 5+ yrs. Plus, if you find a girl and get married (dont do that either) then you will have to move and its gonna be expensive. Also, renting is a lot less hassle than ownership. When you own, you've constantly gotta worry about upkeep and fixing stuff. I was much happier as a renter, and the worst thing to do in your new life will be to tie yourself to a large purchase.

Indy
Old 08-17-2005, 02:50 PM

By the way, I saw u said 10K to furnish your new place. That will be skimpy in my opinion. My mattress alone costs 2600. If you are gonna get furniture, I would go directly through an outlet in High Point NC and not buy up in the midwest retail market. I saved 8K this way. Total furniture in my place is over 25K right now...and I still need more.

Indy
Old 08-17-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we are getting hammered in texas.....our quote is 1800/yr and we shopped it...but then again we have hurricanes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that makes sense. But yeah, much less in illinois. Now that I think about it, it might be closer to $800 per year.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:53 PM

I'm actually going to agree with Indiana on something here. $10k is not much to furnish a house. Well, maybe a small 1-bedroom condo/townhouse. Figure $3k-$5k per room.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:56 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
So, I'll be starting work soon out of college and I don't really want to throw money out on rent. Bottom line, I'm thinking about buying a house.

[/ QUOTE ]

this made me laugh because of the "bottom line" part considering how succinct the initial sentence was.

i am not hungry but i want something sweet. bottom line, i'm going to eat some candy.