Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Pot Committed is a highly overrated concept.

I actually am not sure that any of these are exactly what is meant by pot committed.

My sense is that pot committed means that so much of your stack has gone into the pot that you simply can't fold, regardless of the situation, because you would be left with too few chips to do anything.

In other words, there aren't drawing odds that would make you fold because even a one-outer is worth the shot since folding leaves you so incredibly short stacked.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:21 PM

i don't think you have to have a large portion of your stack involved to be "pot committed".

it just means that you are committed to the pot. Say you are big stack and big blind. short stack has 2BB's left--- he knows that you will call his all-in for only 1BB more, because you're pot-committed--- there's nothing in the world that you would fold.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:37 PM

your example is an example of mathematically being pot-committed, i.e. you're mathematically obligated to call because you're probability of winning against his range (any two cards) is such that you expect to win chips.

the more contentious issue is when on, say, the turn someone makes a bet where you think you don't have the odds to make a chip +EV call, but you call anyway because folding would leave you so short stacked that it would be -$EV because you would have such a small chance of making the money.