Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Can I get some advice about 1/2NL (don\'t flame please)

Basically my friend and I are heading up to a big game tonight ($50 SNG) then 1/2 no limit afterwards. Anywho, all of these guys (around 30 years old and around 30 of them) are all suckers for sure. My friend says they will call like pot sized bets with bottom pair to the river just trying to hit trips.

I was intriguied by the idea, and my NL tourney game isn't all that bad, so I figure why not give it a shot? If I win the SNG tonight then I'll definitely play in the cash game for a little while, and I may play if I lose the SNG.

But anyways, with loose passive calling stations, what are some general tips as far as betting/reads go? Sorry for such a newb post, but I knew I'd find some help here.

Wade
Old 08-17-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Can I get some advice about 1/2NL (don\'t flame please)

Don't try to bluff them. Play solid hands against them and value bet, value bet, value bet. Since they are passive calling stations, you will also probably be allowed to draw at straights and flushes cheaply, i'd think small pockets and suited connectors will be very valuable.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Can I get some advice about 1/2NL (don\'t flame please)

[ QUOTE ]
Basically my friend and I are heading up to a big game tonight ($50 SNG) then 1/2 no limit afterwards. Anywho, all of these guys (around 30 years old and around 30 of them) are all suckers for sure. My friend says they will call like pot sized bets with bottom pair to the river just trying to hit trips.

I was intriguied by the idea, and my NL tourney game isn't all that bad, so I figure why not give it a shot? If I win the SNG tonight then I'll definitely play in the cash game for a little while, and I may play if I lose the SNG.

But anyways, with loose passive calling stations, what are some general tips as far as betting/reads go? Sorry for such a newb post, but I knew I'd find some help here.

Wade

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet the flop and turn always. The river is where it gets interesting. You will soon pick out the guys who will bluff with their missed draws or weak hands. Against the rest bet the river too if they will call with pairs, otherwise just check call against everyone.

When raising PF, go for some nice high card value and position. Play really tight in early position if you are new to NL cash. This way if you do get yourself in a sticky situation (say you raised KJ PF, flop comes K high, it's bet into you), you can use the best line possible to see a showdown.

See showdowns with good pairs. The best way to do this is often bet, bet, check behind, but again against some of the more bluff fond players, bet, check behind, call river bluff is better. Watch out with suited connectors, because people often have better flush draws out there. That said, limp suited aces as often as possible in late position to try to hit flushes.