Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 03:34 PM

Default The Mainstream Media\'s Portrayal of Iraq

How accurate do you think the information you get about Iraq is?

To put the question in more concrete terms, assume there are two countries in roughly similar circumstances (ex-dictatorships, US-occupied, insurgent campaigns, Islam, etc.), one of which is Iraq. The AP and other media outlets provide the same type of stories about each (x marines killed today, the constitution deadline is coming up, etc.)

If the reported death tolls and political squabbling were at approximately the same level in Iraq and Country B, how confident would you be, percentagewise, that the US's long-term prospects for success were the same or very close to the same?

(That question is complicated, but I framed it as best I could. If you have any questions, I'll try to phrase it more clearly.)
Old 08-16-2005, 05:03 PM

Default Re: The Mainstream Media\'s Portrayal of Iraq

If everything was the same, clearly our opinions of where each situation was headed would be at least somewhat similar. I can't give a more detailed answer than that, because I think this is a lot more complex than you apparently do.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If everything was the same, clearly our opinions of where each situation was headed would be at least somewhat similar. I can't give a more detailed answer than that, because I think this is a lot more complex than you apparently do.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the sort of media coverage we receive about Iraq, how confident would you be that you had the complete picture, is what I'm trying to find out.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:47 PM

IMO the biggest lie propagated by the media regarding Iraq is that democracy is really taking shape there. A true democracy has to come from within, not via external force.

Everyday people regard the government as a bunch of power-hungry crooks whether it be Saddam or the currently forming puppet regime. I'm not basing this on first hand info from Iraq, just on my observation that that's how it has been in every country that has been under occupation at some point since WW2, so there is no reason for Iraq to be any different.

The media has strong interests to play down the inherently corrupt and power-mongering nature of all governments in the world and that especially applies to Iraq.

As for the bombings, the insurgency etc. I have no reason to doubt the media's stats, although they deliberately fail to remind viewers how small a probability an average Iraqi has of getting injured or killed in such an attack. Instead they make it seem like bombs are exploding on every street corner every day. Part of this is because of sensationalism -- getting people to say "ooh" and "aah" is more important than being accurate and objective -- and part is because of the liberal slant.

That's my take on it anyway.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

To put the question in more concrete terms, assume there are two countries in roughly similar circumstances (ex-dictatorships, US-occupied, insurgent campaigns, Islam, etc.), one of which is Iraq. The AP and other media outlets provide the same type of stories about each (x marines killed today, the constitution deadline is coming up, etc.)

If the reported death tolls and political squabbling were at approximately the same level in Iraq and Country B, how confident would you be, percentagewise, that the US's long-term prospects for success were the same or very close to the same?

(That question is complicated, but I framed it as best I could. If you have any questions, I'll try to phrase it more clearly.)

[/ QUOTE ]

The very title of this thread contains an inaccurate portrayal - the so-called "mainstream media". Do you believe the portrayal of Iraq by Fox News is more accurate than AP?

Here's what I saw on Fox News yesterday: the had a 3 minute long "Fox Facts" list about all the major events in Iraq in the past few years (e.g. "March 19, 2003: Operation Iraqi Freedom begins".... "June 1, 2004: Ghazi al-Yawir sworn in as Iraq's new interim president"....).

NOT ONCE DID THESE "FACTS" MENTION ANY EXPLOSIONS, HIGH CASUALTY DAYS, OR EVEN ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL!! IT WAS A THREE MINUTE LOVE FEST FOR THE SUCCESS OF OUR IRAQI POLICIES!

Now, what were you saying about inaccurate portrayals of Iraq from the "mainstream" media?

-ptmusic
Old 08-16-2005, 09:22 PM

Uhhh... I was considering Fox News as part of the mainstream media. It's only people like you who think it's not.

Really though, I was mostly thinking of print media. Feel free to rant about that if you like though
Old 08-16-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Uhhh... I was considering Fox News as part of the mainstream media. It's only people like you who think it's not.

Really though, I was mostly thinking of print media. Feel free to rant about that if you like though

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to do a guilty-by-association number on you. It's just that every time (except this time) that I hear the phrase "mainstream media" it's from a pundit on Fox News, or a Fox News fan, blasting everyone else as being liberal.

You're the first person I've heard to describe Fox News as mainstream media. I guess since it has been such a popular cable news outlet, I agree. It's like alternative rock, which has been more the mainstream than the alternative for a decade.

But back to your OP: if you are suggesting that we are not getting the full picture, of course we are not. It's an impossible task. But I don't blame the mainstream media; collectively, I think they are actually doing a pretty good job.

-ptmusic
Old 08-16-2005, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO the biggest lie propagated by the media regarding Iraq is that democracy is really taking shape there. A true democracy has to come from within, not via external force.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I agree that the media is "propogating" this "lie". What they are doing, in my opinion, is reporting the Bush Adminstration's statements that democracy is fomenting. I don't think the media is telling us that it is or it isn't. You can take the Administration's statements (such as some nonsense I heard from Condi Rice this morning) seriously or with a grain of salt. But I'm not sure the media is to be faulted for this reporting.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
From the sort of media coverage we receive about Iraq, how confident would you be that you had the complete picture,

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is highly dependent on a number of variables including:
1. How much news you consume.
2. How many sources you get your information from and the diversity of the sources
3. Whether you are knowledgeable in general about Iraq, the strategic and tactical situation there, and the areas of contention
4. Whether you are getting at least part of the news and analysis you consume from people that have an intimate knowledge of the situation i.e. those people that have been to Iraq or are there now.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It is accurate if it comes from Fox News, otherwise it is crap.