Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Does music affect your play?

I would like to think that it doesn't, but I'm beginning to think that it does on a subconscious level. I feel like if I'm listening to something really fast, I will be a lot more aggressive than normal (almost stupidly aggressive), and if I'm listening to something a bit more mellow, I'll play tighter. I'm not looking for a scientific study here (but if you have one I guess I won't decline), I'm just wondering if any of you have felt this way.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Does music affect your play?

I find I rush into a decision if I'm listening to fast paced music, aggressive without any thought for the hand.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:08 PM

I find that if I listen to a CD that I know very well (like you know... the type that you can sing along to unconsciously) then I tend to concentrate better. I don't wander to see what's on TV, I'm not wondering what else can I do in between hands I'm playing, and I'm not easily distracted by random noises.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:09 PM

There have been studies on the effects of sensory input into the environment for years, hence the term "music calms the savage beast" and is the reason a lot of expecting parents listen to specific genres of music.
I for one find that when I am "practicing" with my friends on a saturday night for $10 freezouts, the music (Mos Def, Tool, etc.) certainly makes for a more loose aggressive game. When I am "working" at poker I do generally listen to some aggressive music pre-play in order to pump up the confidence and get the blood flowing, however 6 hours into this marathon I am more interested in shutting out distractions so music gives way to sounds of nature and some mile classical (especially in tournaments).
Old 08-16-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to think that it doesn't, but I'm beginning to think that it does on a subconscious level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a tendency to re-listen to the same set of tracks over and over again, until eventually it gets to the point that I can sit through an entire song from beginning to end and then have no specific memory of having listened to the song. That is to say, I become so familiar with the track that there is no longer any new sensory input for me to process by listening again; I know every single note of the song so well that my brain just shuts it out.

It's very much like if you stare at a spot on a wall long enough, the spot will fade from your vision. Once something in the scene shifts, your perception of the spot returns instantly. Human senses are designed to detect change and so things that don't change just fade into the background.

The ability to tune out auditory stimuli that are oft-repeated and non-informative is what allows people to sleep through the chirping of crickets and the snoring of partners and the rumble of jets passing overhead on their final approach to the airport.

When I put on some tired old music to play poker by, it has the effect of not distracting me at all -- sometimes when an album ends I sit in silence for ten minutes before I notice the music has ended! In addition, it masks other ambient noise that might by its very unusualness provide a distraction. I believe I focus more on the game when I'm not actively listening to something. If I play something new, something I haven't "played to death" yet or haven't heard in a long time, then part of my focus is taken away to listening to the music.

When playing music I'm actually listening to, I find that the mood of the music affects my play when it clashes with the mood I need to maintain for best play. When playing good poker, I must remain suspicious, wary, alert, slightly fearful, but not to the point where the "fight-or-flight" instinct leans too heavily in favor of "flee". If I play upbeat stuff, it affects my mood, then I tend to play too manically. I become too optimistic about my hand's prospects, too trusting of my opponent's moves, and too confident in my own strength.

Over all, I think it's best that I either listen to nothing at all, or something that's no longer interesting to me.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:30 PM

i tend to play much better while listening to music in fact i almost only play well while listening to music
Old 08-16-2005, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would like to think that it doesn't, but I'm beginning to think that it does on a subconscious level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a tendency to re-listen to the same set of tracks over and over again, until eventually it gets to the point that I can sit through an entire song from beginning to end and then have no specific memory of having listened to the song. That is to say, I become so familiar with the track that there is no longer any new sensory input for me to process by listening again; I know every single note of the song so well that my brain just shuts it out.

It's very much like if you stare at a spot on a wall long enough, the spot will fade from your vision. Once something in the scene shifts, your perception of the spot returns instantly. Human senses are designed to detect change and so things that don't change just fade into the background.

The ability to tune out auditory stimuli that are oft-repeated and non-informative is what allows people to sleep through the chirping of crickets and the snoring of partners and the rumble of jets passing overhead on their final approach to the airport.

When I put on some tired old music to play poker by, it has the effect of not distracting me at all -- sometimes when an album ends I sit in silence for ten minutes before I notice the music has ended! In addition, it masks other ambient noise that might by its very unusualness provide a distraction. I believe I focus more on the game when I'm not actively listening to something. If I play something new, something I haven't "played to death" yet or haven't heard in a long time, then part of my focus is taken away to listening to the music.

When playing music I'm actually listening to, I find that the mood of the music affects my play when it clashes with the mood I need to maintain for best play. When playing good poker, I must remain suspicious, wary, alert, slightly fearful, but not to the point where the "fight-or-flight" instinct leans too heavily in favor of "flee". If I play upbeat stuff, it affects my mood, then I tend to play too manically. I become too optimistic about my hand's prospects, too trusting of my opponent's moves, and too confident in my own strength.

Over all, I think it's best that I either listen to nothing at all, or something that's no longer interesting to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is interesting, because most of the music I still listen too is the stuff I listened to 3-5 yrs ago.

My friend has an internet radio show of mostly techno/club type music (something I don't listen to much [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] ), and I've listened to it a few times while playing.

Do you guys listen to classical, pop rock, metal, rap, (god forbid) country, or does it completely depend on your mood?
Old 08-17-2005, 02:57 AM

I actually went on a 2,000 hand journey today.

Obviously over the course of that many hands in a day, you'll see your share of bad beats, and have plenty of time to lose your thoughts to something else.

To counter this, i put on Sounds of Nature - Rain and Thunder to play to. The sound of rain is very relaxing, but it does not make your play more timid as much as just helping you concentrate on every given situation.

If this is something that would make you drowsy, ignore it. If not, it's a great way to keep calm and concentrated for long periods of time.

All i can say is it works for me!

p.s. 2.8 bb/100 over the 2k.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:47 AM

I recently became a winning player after I recorded Prahlad's rap on ESPN. It will do wonders for your game.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:19 AM

Vex: good post.

pokerdirty:
As for types of music to listen to, I find it's better to put on very familiar words with lyircs, or any music without lyrics. Classical music sometimes helps me concentrate better, although I don't really like it. I find that rap (not hiphop), jazz (and acid jazz), house, jungle, and some kinds of reggae.

Albums of choice?
Bob Marley - Legend
John Scofield - A-go-go
Medeski, Martin, and Wood - Combustication
anything by St Germain, or Amon Tobin