Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: how many buy-ins till you call it a day?

Usually 3 is my limit. When I first move up to a level I might quit after 2 or 2.5. Thankfully I don't often get there.

Ryan
Old 08-16-2005, 02:24 PM

Caro also talks about this somewhere... .can't remember where..

But if you get to the point where it doesn't feel any worse to gain/lose buyins, you really need to stop. He calls it the Threshold of Misery.

Ryan
Old 08-16-2005, 02:32 PM

4 buyins.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:34 PM

After 2 buy-ins I don't call it a day but I definately take a break. Go watch TV or do something else to take your mind out of that "revenge" mode. Keeps you from the T word.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:59 PM

I like a set number versus buyins. I think everyone has a different threshold of how much money they are willing to lose and still be able to play their best. I find mine around 500. Being a nl200 player, I hit this number probably once every 2 weeks.
The issue I deal with lately is the flip-side of the coin. How much do you win before you decide you better take a break. You can't help but feel a little invincible when you makes 3-4 buyins inside of 2 or 3 hours. I find I should also take a break once this happens so that I can relax/cool my head before heading back...if I head back at all. I tend to quit for the day once I'm up 500-600. Anyone else have thoughts on this? I've heard arguments on each side, but haven't formed a concrete conclusion.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:31 PM

I am like you. I play bad when I'm way behind or way ahead. There have been plenty of times when I've won 2-4 buy ins in just a couple of hours only to see it go down to a 1-2 buy in profit. Mainly because I started getting crazy, thinking that I was so good. The only problem with setting a maximum profit before you go is that often you're way ahead because of a lot of weak opponents, so you then loose out on a bunch of great chances to make more money.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:53 PM

5/6
Old 08-16-2005, 05:20 PM

I usually 6 table it and when I'm really into it I couldn't tell u if I'm up or down until the end of my session. If however, I'm just getting beat down and I do NOTICE it I'll quit (usually 3-4 buyins).
Old 08-16-2005, 08:48 PM

im thinking the same thing.in fact i just posted one just like this right before i read this.
i was thinking three, but i guess im pretty uptight about my $.i will tend to stick it out if its all bad beats,but losing three buy ins is the opposite of fun to me.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how many buy-ins will you go thru before you throw in the towel and call it a day?

does it differ if you're playing bad? taking bad beats?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it's easier said than done. But after one bust-out you should leave. Your table image takes a hit i think.
The only exception is if it's a showdown and you see this guy played something awfully wrong. That's happened, I rebought busted him once and then busted him again. Got my revenge if you will.
But ordinarily, you should leave, cool down to avoid tilt, see if you're mentally ready, than maybe go one more time.