Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 02:39 PM

Default 98o - Standardish?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, MP calls, Button calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds...
Old 08-16-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Re: 98o - Standardish?

Yeah?
Old 08-16-2005, 03:27 PM

YEAH!
Old 08-16-2005, 03:27 PM

I usually just peel one here on the flop. JT and [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] are calling two cold anyways, so you're really only protecting yourself from an 8 with a worse kicker.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:29 PM

Nice try, but I think at least somebody has the ace too often to make this work out good for you (supposing he won't fold it). Besides, you will often get 3bet, what kinda sucks. I just think this play is better for something like a K-high flop. When MP calls 2 cold and the K falls on the turn ur pretty much done here, so good fold.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:30 PM

I probably check/call, then check/fold the turn UI. This line isn't bad, the problem is that it's a coordinated flop, and you'd have to keep hammering to the river. A flush draw sticks around, T9 or even JT probably sticks around, and if they call your flop bet and you check the turn then they could bet out again and you'll be folding the best hand. On the other hand, in the line you chose you're only paying one more SB, while increasing the chance that you win the hand against something like KQ or KJ or whatnot. But a button raise after limpers . . . that's probably a good-sized pocket or an ace, not KQ. The way most players play.

Which raises the question: If the turn is a blank, would you have led out? If the turn is a K but the MP didn't overcall on the flop, would you lead out?
Old 08-16-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually just peel one here on the flop. JT and are calling two cold anyways, so you're really only protecting yourself from an 8 with a worse kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

and a lot of other crap people mistakenly call with in such a pot that is higher than an 8? checkcalling this flop in ep with this pot in the middle i guess one could consider as drawing for 2pair or a set or a redraw. You dont have odds for doing so. For me that leaves just the option for folding/checkraising. I don't see much harm in choosing either of those, so my read would be decisive.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:43 PM

I think calling is better, since you're going to end up check-folding and not firing again on almost every turn and he'll often interpret that as a flush draw or some draw and bet again and it's like giving him an extra SB.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:45 PM

I would fold pre flop and call the flop.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I usually just peel one here on the flop. JT and are calling two cold anyways, so you're really only protecting yourself from an 8 with a worse kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

and a lot of other crap people mistakenly call with in such a pot that is higher than an 8? checkcalling this flop in ep with this pot in the middle i guess one could consider as drawing for 2pair or a set or a redraw. You dont have odds for doing so. For me that leaves just the option for folding/checkraising. I don't see much harm in choosing either of those, so my read would be decisive.

[/ QUOTE ]

"A lot of crap" Even someone calling with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] x[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] here isn't far behind you.

Nor is Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

My point is Bad hands generally won't call two cold here but good ones (AKA ones that have you beat) will