Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: The first hand at WSOP Lake Tahoe

[ QUOTE ]
hmm. interesting. even without knowing chip stacks and such it looked like a horrible fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to ESPN, Lisandro had 402,800 and Ivey had 296,600 to start the hand. They each put in 15K preflop and 40K on the 444 flop. Lisandro bet 100K on the 4445 turn before Ivey went all in for about 141K more.

This meant that Lisandro had to call 141K to win 462K (counting blinds & antes), after already committing 155K to the hand. Lisandro would have to put Ivey on JJ-AA, 55, or 4x -- and be certain enough to give up more than 3-1 pot odds & the chance to knock out Ivey -- to make the laydown with 10-10. How often can anyone narrow Ivey's hole cards down to that range?

Also, Paul Phillips also has a discussion regarding whetherESPN made up Lisandro's hole cards. As he and others here point out, ESPN looks particularly blameworthy given that we only saw one of Lisandro's 10s in the pocket cam.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that hand was really weird. It was a horrible laydown if the bald dude actually had TT.

[/ QUOTE ]
first of all, show a little respect to players that are better than you by knowing their names. Secondly, it wasn't a horrible laydown (if it happened). Ivey was one player that could have really hurt his chip stack if the 4's full of 10s wasn't good enough. He knows that Ivey is a player who will take flops with weird hands and couldvery well have quads; he would also think that Ivey would push with quads cause he thinks he'd get paid off. To lay it was a horrible laydown is like saying laying down pocket 3's on a board of AAA is a stupid laydown
Old 08-12-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that hand was really weird. It was a horrible laydown if the bald dude actually had TT.

[/ QUOTE ]
first of all, show a little respect to players that are better than you by knowing their names. Secondly, it wasn't a horrible laydown (if it happened). Ivey was one player that could have really hurt his chip stack if the 4's full of 10s wasn't good enough. He knows that Ivey is a player who will take flops with weird hands and couldvery well have quads; he would also think that Ivey would push with quads cause he thinks he'd get paid off. To lay it was a horrible laydown is like saying laying down pocket 3's on a board of AAA is a stupid laydown

[/ QUOTE ]it was a horrible laydown
Old 08-12-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont see how he can fold.

aa-qq he gets re reaised pre flop. jj he gets re raised on flop.

I agree with this
weird hand

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-16-2005, 10:05 AM

I was watching an old WPT the other day, the one where Ivey is wearing the potato sack shirt. Don't remember the exact hand, but Ivey folded the 4 of hearts, and then the flop had the 4 of hearts. So I know the WPT mixes in different hands.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:16 PM

Uh, no one is really questioning whether the reed hand happened. He admitted to it right afterwards (and would have no reason to lie about it). The Lisandro/Ivey hand on the other hand; the odds of Lisandro laying down TT in that spot are a million to 1 as Paul Phillips said. Lisandro had 1 T visible, ESPN missed the other card and assumed it was a T.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:50 PM

Paul Phillips has an interesting thread on this topic on his blog (http://extempore.livejournal.com).
Old 08-16-2005, 10:05 PM

I TiVo'ed it. Frame-by-frame, I believe the other card is a red ten.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it was a horrible laydown

[/ QUOTE ]

me too. He had tons of chips and Phil is way aggressive and he bet, he didn't call. Phil is like the incarnation of gap theory, come on.