Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 02:21 AM

Default Re: San Diego Cardrooms

Moving to SD in a month. Any place with 5-10 NL or 20-40 limit range of games?
Old 08-16-2005, 02:49 AM

Good deal, sent you a PM Spaded.

As for higher limit games, I have often seen them open up at Pechangua (sp?) in Temecula-especially on the weekends, which is about a 45 min drive from San Diego. Also, I believe some 10-20 games open up at times at some of the other "Big Dogs" I listed above.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:20 AM

Ocean's 11 has 20-40 and 5-5 NL going on most of the time, also 40-80 when there's interest.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:34 PM

In the san diego area, 10-20 is not worth the effort, play 8-16 full kill. I saw lucky lady try to spread 10-20 one day, it was funny as heck. TIGHT game, VERY tight for that matter, in a room where the 8-16 full kill was LAG LAG LAG. It's the chips. They don't like 2 chip 4 chip games, the pots don't LOOK big enough, and it kills the action. After about an hour and a half all the players at the table agreed to go back to playing 8-16 kill, at which point the game loosened back up.

al
Old 08-16-2005, 02:30 PM

I live in SD right now Univesity City, to be exact. But I'm down to roll to Viejas on a Saturday or something. I like playing their morning tourney on Saturday, $3,300 Guaranteed. $25 buy in + $2 extra chip-No REBUY. $5 bounties and a pretty decent chance to final table all most of the time.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, Ocean's 11 looks like a great place, too bad it's so far from where I live (SDSU). In fact, whenever I play live, I usually stick to 2/4 and I'm not sure any other cardroom in San Diego offers 2/4 besides Oceans.

What is the general concensious on playing a live level that is a bit out of reach of your BR? I consider most live games to be extreamly ultra loose compared to .50/1 Party that I 4 table. Is walking into a 3/6 with a buyin of $180 ludicrious when I only have $800 for a total bankroll (considering I usually do well at 1/2 and 2/4 live consistantly at the Bike and Commerce in LA)?

Also, jedi:
Palomar Club
2724 El Cajon Boulevard
San Diego, CA 92104
Phone: (619) 280-5828

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info.

If you're any sort of a winner at 2/4, you can easily make the jump to 3/6 or 4/8. The B&M rake at 2/4 is a killer, move up when you have the chance. I usually have $200 for a 3/6 game. I buy in for $100 right away and reload if I need to. I don't usually need to reload any more than that, but a bad run of cards might get you to that point. You might want to avoid some higher variance, +EV moves, but I think avoiding the rake should be worth it.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:28 PM

I'm moving to San Diego in a month, will be living very close to SDSU and starting grad school at UCSD. Let me know how I can contact you guys if you want to play live sometime, it would be fun to meet some 2+2ers as I figure out where I can play live in a new city.

-DeathDonkey
Old 08-16-2005, 08:41 PM

like everyone has already stated, oceans 11 should be #1. its just one big azz card room. i play in there 8/16 games regularly. they also run 20/40 on a daily basis. and 40/80 pretty regulary. for their 20/40 and 40/80 they have overs. you do not NEED to be 21 to play at oceans [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

i just went to viejas last weekend, first time i been there since like jan. they have these new red felt tables, looks pretty good. its a nice change from boring old green. the 8/16 at viejas is some wild azz sh1t. family pots every hand. not only that, 7 way capped preflops were rountine. monster pots left and right. also the kill pots, omg. that game is action, donkeys everywhere. im gonna be down in san diego tommorrow to visit a friend. afterwards im heading to viejas. let me know if anyones going tommorrow.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:52 PM

I'm going to San Diego for work in a month but, unfortunately, it looks like my hotel is 40 miles from Oceans. Arg, maybe I'll rent a car...wanna check the place out. 40-80 w/ overs sounds sweets.

Jeff
Old 08-16-2005, 09:44 PM

Just a mini-report:

I played at Viejas last week on friday and saturday nights, and the 3/6 kill games were incredibly soft. There were 6-7 people in every flop, people calling raises on the river and showing down King high, etc.

Never played there during the day, so I cant talk about that. But the two nights I went there the place was packed and the competition was horrible.