Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 12:03 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: loose Party 6 Max Tables (Long)

ifthe table is that loose/bad, I think you could limp utg with 88. you're rarely going to limit the field much, and you'll end up getting hurt on the big streets. by limping you can let them all in to maximize your implied odds and the pot is smaller so you can be more selective about which flops to go after. in a 10 SB pot out of position, a pair of eights is very tough to play
Old 08-16-2005, 12:04 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
More like 20/13 would work if you wanted to be that tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

a VPIP of 20 against idiots like that wouldn't be very good at all. ti would work though if he was striving for mediocrity
Old 08-16-2005, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ifthe table is that loose/bad, I think you could limp utg with 88. you're rarely going to limit the field much, and you'll end up getting hurt on the big streets. by limping you can let them all in to maximize your implied odds and the pot is smaller so you can be more selective about which flops to go after. in a 10 SB pot out of position, a pair of eights is very tough to play

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe you're the first one to point this out.

The nice thing about low-low limit 6-max is that everyone thinks that they need to play more hands, but they don't know what hands to play. So they'll play AnyTwoSooted or any connectors. On a table like that, feel free to play any big cards you want from any position, and certainly limp with pocket 77 or lower (and maybe 88). You'll have to play around a little bit to see if raises clear out the field at all, either UTG raises or raises after limpers.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you're rarely going to limit the field much

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
by limping you can let them all in to maximize your implied odds

[/ QUOTE ]
If a raise wont limit the field isnt this a clear valueraise to scoop a giant pot when you flop the wonderful 8?

Regards
Snow
Old 08-16-2005, 01:38 AM

at 1-2 i did very well playing something like 20/15.

If I was gonna go back and do it again I would open up my game alot more. At the end of the day though its all about comfort zones.

If tight feels right go with it. Go with it in the mindset that its not the optimum way to play but will still win you money. Learn to look for extra situations to play as opposed to extra hands. Get "tight" right first, work on your blind play (defence and stealing) and your game will open up slowly but surely.

oh and value bet like a mofo. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2005, 01:57 AM

i was 24/14 over 18k hands at 1/2SH. I did pretty well over 3BB/100. 26/17 seems a little high for a rook at 6 max. You would put yourself in a lot of tough situations playing that many hands.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:28 AM

Thanks for the input everyone.
I think that I was going into this with some misperceptions.

#1 never open limp.
the 88 scenerio I described really got me thinking.
I dont believe that it is a value raise as i cant count on getting 5 to the flop.
I would be happy if it were only 3, but 4 or 5 seems like pretty thin value to me.
I dont think your gonna hit your set enough to make it profitable and in this case,
I am out of position which makes it more difficult to play. I am not gonna fold 8's
preflop and with these playing conditions I think limping is clearly the best option.
FWIW flop was Q27r checked to me I bet and 5 of us see the turn.
Turn is a J and its checked to the CO who bets and the Button raises and I have to fold.

#2 vpip should be in 26-30 range with preflop raise at 16-18. While I believe that this is probably true at higher limits I just dont think it is appropriate in games this loose.

#3 in order to overcome the increased blind commitments you are going to have to play more hands preflop. In situations this loose there is enough money to be made value betting that the increased commitments should be overcome.

I actually prefer to be looser preflop than most, and at full I often run for a 1000 hands or more in the 22/12 range if conditions are right.

So anyway had a decent session tonight just played solid position aware poker. I had to increase my stealing requirements because they were rarely working, but other than that I felt pretty comfortable.

Thanks
Old 08-16-2005, 05:00 AM

My stats at 1/2 were 19.5/15 over 40k hands. My earn rate over those 40k hands was 4BB/100 +. People waaaaay understimate the effect of rake at this level. The higher rake % means that hands that look profitable will actually be money losers, even when the opponents are horrible. Playing a looser game may prepare you better for higher levels, but will not yield you the maximum earn at 1/2.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:42 PM

I'm in the same boat. I have the luxury of owning Poker Academy, and played several thousand hands vs. Poki before venturing (again) into 6-max, so I had a little help in understanding the concepts.

My observations/comments/recommendations:
- Individual reads are more valuable in 6-max.
- 6-max is even more about selective aggression than a full ring game.
- There are 1000's of HH posts here. Read all you can.
- Knowing the math is more important in 6-max. You could probably get away with not knowing anything more than the basics of poker math, but knowing more will increase your edge.
- You increase your edge even further by making more good decisions and by them making more bad ones.
- The swings are larger, but not too bad with a good bankroll.
- 6-max is more fun, and probably more profitable.
- Fold equity is something that you can consider in 6-max, while you really can't too much in a full game. This means that bluffing is a weapon you can use (selectively), and any extra weapon that you have just adds to your effectiveness.
- Individual reads are more valuable in 6-max.

I'm a dedicated 1-tabler now, so taking notes and developing reads on betting patterns is top priority for me at a table, and so far have proven to be very valuable to my statistically insignifigant winrate.

Glad to see someone I know from Prima trolling about here. Take care.