Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 08:23 PM

Default Re: BillyJex is a punk

Can I say I like your limp better with 65o or 86o? But yeah, whatever.

I don't like your flop bet (lots of things call, you don't really want to bet most turns if you get called but you don't really want to check either, and a checkraise makes you puke) but you bet and billy shoves. He knows it's you so you can have anything on the button, and he knows he probably can't outplay you out of position. He also knows you make big, seemingly crappy calls sometimes just like every other player who plays like you. What's he have?

For one, unless he has exactly 43 or better he has to have a decent heart. He also probably paired, unless he has the ace and some other card he thinks is good (so something like Ah Jx). You're even against 2 pair, an unpaired heart with an overcard or a heart with a 6 or a 4, and a massive dog against Ah 5x, an overpair with a heart or anything else realistic in his range.

I think you just barely have odds to call vs. his range (and no way do I put him on that exact hand) but given the situation and the fact that you're chip leader and losing gives you an equal 2+2 stack to your left, I think I muck this.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like your flop bet (lots of things call, you don't really want to bet most turns if you get called but you don't really want to check either, and a checkraise makes you puke)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no problem betting the turn and folding to a c-raise if somebody calls my flop bet. That's exactly what I would do.

[ QUOTE ]
I think you just barely have odds to call vs. his range (and no way do I put him on that exact hand) but given the situation and the fact that you're chip leader and losing gives you an equal 2+2 stack to your left, I think I muck this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesnt the fact that I'm chip leader (and that even if i lose im still top 10 in chips) argue for calling not folding.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:11 PM

Doesnt the fact that I'm chip leader (and that even if i lose im still top 10 in chips) argue for calling not folding.

Don't you think people don't want to play against you given your stack? they're afraid of you because you can bust them, so when they do jam at you, they're more often going to have the goods...no?

-Scott
Old 08-16-2005, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't you think people don't want to play against you given your stack? they're afraid of you because you can bust them, so when they do jam at you, they're more often going to have the goods...no?

[/ QUOTE ]

The other two yes, but Billy's a good player, about 2 hours earlier at a different table, he cr jammed on me with second pair (or so he said when I left that table). So, he can do it without the goods.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:25 PM

I was talking about the flop CR actually - my fault for not being clearer. I agree a turn CR's an easy muck. But this is one of those boards where someone can hit a 9 on the turn for top pair and still check/fold to a decent bet or raise, so I don't think giving a freebie is that bad. Make it a two tone board and I'd want to bet more.

The fact that you're CL by that much of a margin argues for folding here, I think...Gigablocks and all. If you figure this to be an exact mathematical 50/50 gaining the chips won't get you as much as losing them to a guy on your left who likes to play back.

For that matter I didn't factor in the possibility of this being a small flush, either.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:27 AM

I don't see being at 65k as all that different from being around 90k given the other table conditions, while being at 150k puts me in a completely dominating position coming down the stretch because I can target the other biggest stacks with litt/no fear because even they can't cripple me.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:56 AM

No raise preflop with JJ? Seems a bit odd.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:00 AM

I was quite surprised.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was quite surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am wondering if that was "read-specific" (i.e. did he do that precisely because MLG was at the table?)
Old 08-16-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Big Stack - Styles and Table Image

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here are my thoughts on this:

You have 'big stack' status now, so I wouldn't take coin-flip type chances on letting that go away. You can be patiently aggressive and still win chips without enduring large risks. You can still play your 64o in position and win a lot of small pots, but I think you need to fold when they play back at you unless you have the goods - because sometimes you will have the goods and you will bust them.

Also, as others have said - most players will not want to engage with the big stack unless they either have the goods themselves or think that they can get the big stack to laydown a good percentage of the time.

Maybe this is a stylistic difference in our play - but with the big stack I like to wait for my opportunities, and if I don't get them then I will play 64o and I'll play it aggressively - but I'll also want to protect my big stack status. Of course if you wait too long, then you'll lose your Q (ratio of your stack to the average stack) - so patience is a fine line.

Let me also say that stylistically, I like to play with a very TAG image - so that when I do play a hand my opponents generally respect my holdings and I rely a lot on FE to win pots. With a LAG image - I think you get players playing back at you a lot more often, so yes - you'll probably need to call more often than a TAG would when they do play back at you.

Any other thoughts on this?