Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2003, 03:22 PM

Default Gauging your opponent

Mirage 10-20 this past Saturday afternoon. The game has been tight to a raise, but a limp sets of a chain reaction of limps or isolation raises and three bets, depending on the relative position of the two over-aggressive players at the table.

UTG (one of the over-aggressive players) limps, one caller, I call with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], two more callers, small blind completes, 7 to the flop.

Flop: [A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] UTG bets, one call, I raise, one call, UTG 3-bets, one call, I make it four bets, fold, UTG and other player call.

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] UTG bets, one call, I raise, UTG 3-bets. Your action?
Old 08-11-2003, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Gauging your opponent

Re-Raise

He probably has 2-pair and your other oppenent is on a draw.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:53 PM

Unless I've seen this guy limp with aces before, I would raise as much as possible and put him on at best a set of 5s
Old 08-11-2003, 04:30 PM

I was at this table. I was in the big blind in this hand with a trash hand and folded on the flop.

I would have played a set of 9's as strongly as you did and was wondering which of the two of you had the 99.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:52 PM

Default Yup

I 4-bet, he capped it. River paired the Q, I paid to see his limped AA. I thought 4-betting was pretty clear here, but I got some flack from some people. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:57 AM

J.R.

What did the player between you do? Call or fold?

Usually I would think you are still ahead with a good chance against AQ top two...but you did say he is over-aggressive and surely opens for a raise preflop with AQ????

The only other point is Vegas players, more than any others, like to limp with AA.

Bob Lewis
Old 08-12-2003, 12:19 PM

The player in between called the turn bets and folded on the river, me thinks it was the spades draw.