Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2003, 10:24 AM

Default 2 hands from my bay area trip

8-16 half kill game at Garden City. 9 players, sweet game, table consisted of: 3 tuna, 2 flounders, 2 halibut, rtrombone and myself.

Fish were very loose with loose raising standards but no maniacs at the table.

Hand 1:

Had KQo UTG, I limped. Folded to LP who raised. BB called, I called.

Flop was K 3 4 rainbow.

BB checked. I checked. LP bet. BB called and I raised. Both called.

Turn was a 2.

BB checked, I bet. LP raised. BB 3-bet. I folded. LP called.

River was a blank. LP won with A5, BB had 22.

How was the KQo UTG limp pre-flop in this game?

Hand 2:

One limper from MP. LP raised. (Earlier, MP called my AK UTG raise with 72s. LP was just as bad and loose with raises) I'm in the SB with ATo. rtrombone in BB, only player I need to worry about.

What's the correct play here? 3-bet or fold or call?

Old 08-12-2003, 11:12 AM

Default Re: 2 hands from my bay area trip

Hand 1: I would not limp with KQo here UTG if I thought there was a decent chance of getting isolated by a weak ace from LP, but your description of the game is contrary to what happened in the hand really.

Hand 2: Good one. I think all 3 choices have their validity but I would fold/call/raise in that order I think. While its probable that you have the best hand here this is an exceedingly difficult hand to play post flop in this situation. What do you do if you 3-bet preflop and the flop is rags or with one paint and you bet and are called by both? What do you do when the flop is K T x and your flop bet is raised? etc etc. Personally I think I would wait for better spots to invest some chips here.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:49 AM

I like the fold in both situations. Did you like the food?
Old 08-12-2003, 12:36 PM

Hand 1) Lead on the flop. Your hand is not strong enough to checkraise with. They both will probably call if you lead out, but still there is a greater chance that they will fold if you bet. Once you checkraise very few players are going to fold for one more bet. You also save one small
bet.

Hand 2) I would call and fold in that order. Reraising in this type of game is unlikely to make it a headsup pot so
you might as well see the flop and take it from there.

Bruce
Old 08-12-2003, 02:42 PM

Hand #1, nothing wrong.

Hand #2, More Fold, Less Call, Never Raise (can't get heads up, so why bother? unless you want a maniac image)

my $0.02 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
kenny
Old 08-12-2003, 03:36 PM

For Hand Two, I have to advocate a fold. Remember, this game is all about POSITION, and you don't want to see the flop with a medium ace from the worst position. Sure, you may have the best hand, but even still, I think it's best to let it go.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:53 PM

hi dk
the only question is whether you should enter in with KQ from UTG; for simplicity let's say the entire field is comprised of maniacs.

if the game is short-handed, you can limp in against 4 or 5 opponents, and raise in with fewer. against 6 or more, fold.
if a single non-maniac is behind you, limp in only if there are fewer than 4 opponents. anything greater than a 4-way, with the solid in there, is a clear fold from UTG.

always folding UTG, however, isn't wrong.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
9 players, sweet game, table consisted of: 3 tuna, 2 flounders, 2 halibut, rtrombone and myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds about right

if you are ever there again, let me know.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:00 PM

Hand 1:
I would never limp UTG with this hand. If I was in a really weak, passive game I might raise with it.

Now you're in the hand on the flop and you won't have any way of determining whether or not you have the best hand with a check-raise. LP may not have a better hand than yours, but since you've induced a bluff by checking to him he'll call your raise. Otherwise you'll be pushing him around all night. This forces you to bet out on the turn to find out if he really has you beat. My question to you is do you call a single raise here, knowing you could be virtually drawing dead?

A better solution would be to bet it out on the flop. It's easier for him to lay it down without being half-in.

Hand 2:
I'm not sure why you'd play this kind of cheese out of position. Why don't you wait for a better hand?
Old 08-13-2003, 08:19 AM

Default no food

I was too tired and busy drinking tea to stay awake. (I don't drink coffee). Is the food suppose to be good there?