Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 07:06 AM

Default Re: Irritating 80 Hand at Borg

on the hand, he might be putting you on a 9. In which case he'll call a bet on the river with his A7 or his 88. He might see you as a loose cannon and be teasing you with his quad 9s/A9, but from what you say I think you can't make him fold even 10% of the time. So I check behind or simply muck behind [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2005, 07:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Fire again. The turn raise may have been more respected had it not put a flush draw on the board. But with the two clubs he may put you on a semi-bluff and call with his small pair, maybe hoping to get a free show down on the blank river. When you bet on the blank, he's gotta rethink it and hopefully give you the ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think that the opposite was true, that he thought this long finally deciding that he'll call down no matter what, not "okay i'll call the raise to see if he's full of it but if he bets again i'm folding." in my experience, most players don't think like that and that when they pause that long and decide to call its because they're going to show a hand down.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:19 AM

Default RESULTS

Ok, the results of this hand sorta made me throw up in my mouth a little. I decided to bet the river b/c I thought there was a chance he would FINALLY make me for ace if he had a small pair (even though I figured the chance was small b/c he prob committed to a showdown when he called the raise). He called me after a slight hesitation. I just said, you must be good, I have nothing. He just sat there, so I turned my cards over as I'm obliged to do. He turns over K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for the turned flush draw and takes the pot with nut no-pair. I truly wanted to barf. I don't know how he calls the end there unless he makes me for TOTAL air b/c I raised after posting, but still...that's all he can beat. Ace high has a pair of aces and a small pair wins. Nasty hand. Comments on his play? I guess the turn hesitation was to try to convince me not to bet the river again in case he missed. But then I bet and he still calls?

Jeff
Old 08-15-2005, 09:36 AM

Default Re: RESULTS

KQ would be the nut no pair.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:39 AM

Typo...near-nut no pair. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] We playing pool this week?

Jeff
Old 08-15-2005, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Loose preflop raises and weak post flop heads up play is precisely what makes that particular game great.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. But that's not what I think of when you say a "great mid/high limit" game. A great game one with a few of loose passive fish in it or a couple fish who play a ton of hands. Games that are frequently heads up on the flop are not what is commonly called "great".
Old 08-15-2005, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I truly wanted to barf. I don't know how he calls the end there unless he makes me for TOTAL air b/c I raised after posting, but still...that's all he can beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you image is pretty bad - bad as in very loose raiser in steal position and push hard to river. If it is you should adjust and tighten up and get paid off on your better hands.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:38 AM

Trust me...I had a tight image at this table, people had even been commenting on it. Also, I hadn't been caught getting "out of line" in a showdown very often. People just tend to be non-believers in that game I guess...I just don't see his river call as making much sense, but he won the pot. So maybe he knows something I don't.

Jeff
Old 08-15-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So maybe he knows something I don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regarding his thinking (in hindsight, cuz it seems that's what you're concerned about), the dude thought that you might be taking advantage of your image... it was a great spot to put the move on.

Just realize that you played it right. Next time you can either play it the same way or you can fold before the decisions get hard.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and he seems decent...tight, but makes some moves.

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
So maybe he knows something I don't.

[/ QUOTE ] He called your bet for one of two reasons:
1. He is a goof who will call down with near-nut no-pair as a crying call more often than not.
2. He is good headsup and saw something in you that you aren't aware of.