Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 01:50 AM

Default Re: This is How I Play

MORE! i love it. i've been working on stepping up my aggression in general lately, and being able to see the hand by hand decisions of a more aggressive player is huge. Thanks Kurosh!

this hand is brilliant--something i don't think i have the cajones to pull off--but brilliant nonetheless:

***** Hand History for Game 2537624458 *****
$15/$30 Texas Hold'em - Monday, August 15, 00:43:32 EDT 2005
Table Table 23844 (Real Money)
Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 3
Seat 1: HughJass12 ( $928 )
Seat 6: Deceptitraan ( $685 )
Seat 4: kurosh3 ( $910.50 )
HughJass12 posts small blind [$10].
kurosh3 posts big blind [$15].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to kurosh3 [ Jh 3c ]
Deceptitraan folds.
HughJass12 calls [$5].
kurosh3 checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 4d, 4h, 8c ]
HughJass12 checks.
kurosh3 checks.
** Dealing Turn ** [ Qc ]
HughJass12 checks.
kurosh3 bets [$30].
HughJass12 raises [$60].
kurosh3 raises [$60].
HughJass12 calls [$30].
** Dealing River ** [ 4c ]
jurak_hunt has joined the table.
HughJass12 checks.
kurosh3 bets [$30].
HughJass12 folds.
kurosh3 does not show cards.
kurosh3 wins $239
Old 08-15-2005, 01:57 AM

also, why not raise this one? the reason you gave was that you didn't have a read on the new guy, but you were raising T3 the first orbit you sat down (obviously with no reads). just curious:

Game #<do not remove this line!> starts.
***** Hand History for Game 2537636737 *****
$15/$30 Texas Hold'em - Monday, August 15, 00:45:52 EDT 2005
Table Table 23844 (Real Money)
Seat 4 is the button
Total number of players : 5
Seat 1: HughJass12 ( $842 )
Seat 6: Deceptitraan ( $600 )
Seat 4: kurosh3 ( $1165.50 )
Seat 10: jurak_hunt ( $510 )
Seat 7: s00ted ( $750 )
Deceptitraan posts small blind [$10].
s00ted posts big blind [$15].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to kurosh3 [ 6c 7c ]
jurak_hunt folds.
HughJass12 folds.
kurosh3 calls [$15].
Deceptitraan calls [$5].
s00ted checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 9d, Ac, 2c ]
Deceptitraan checks.
s00ted checks.
kurosh3 bets [$15].
Deceptitraan folds.
s00ted folds.
kurosh3 does not show cards.
kurosh3 wins $59

p.s. it's incredible how incapable of adjusting to your style these people are. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2005, 01:59 AM

ok I just finished and I liked it but actually would have liked to have seen even more hands actually. I think the other poster said it looked standard mostly because things seemed to be going well. the table seemed to be folding a lot to your overpair and flush continuation bets/semibluffs on the flop, etc. it's hard to know for sure without seeing results but if I guessed I'd say you ran well in this series of hands. It would be a lot more interesting to see 100 hands of you just getting your ass kicked by the deck.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I read through all the hands and it wasn't too hard to read. I can't say I found too much meat to it though. All the hands appear to be extremely standard, with the one exception being the Jack high hand where you 3 bet his turn c/r with air. (I'm impressed) I'd like some more explanation behind this one besides "I didn't believe him" and "He's been kinda weak passive so his c/r means he has nothing."

[/ QUOTE ]

If most of these hands are standard for you, then congratulations, you are a good player (I think). It's not standard for everyone. When I was trying to teach my gf how to play poker, I realized how much, that is instinctive and easy for me, is completely foreign to her.

For the A3 hand, I check the turn because
1) I would've thrown up if he raised me. I don't have a good enough feel on his play yet to know what it means. I want to go to showdown with my pair.
2) I want to see what he does.
3) He probably wouldn't have called with something that I beat so it induces a bluff sometimes.
4) Sets up check-raises with strong hands in the future.

For the J3o hand, I honestly cannot explain why I thought he was weak. I don't have any logic behind it. He raised me and I felt he was doing it with nothing, so I 3-bet.

More hands are coming. This was a trial run.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:06 AM

[quoteFor the A3 hand, I check the turn because
1) I would've thrown up if he raised me. I don't have a good enough feel on his play yet to know what it means. I want to go to showdown with my pair.
3) He probably wouldn't have called with something that I beat so it induces a bluff sometimes.

For the J3o hand, I honestly cannot explain why I thought he was weak. I don't have any logic behind it. He raised me and I felt he was doing it with nothing, so I 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played a hand so similar to your A3 hand posted, and I love the check on the turn. I played it the same and sometimes people don't realize that a check like that can be more profitable than a bet.

As for the J3 hand, I've 3 bet people plenty of times when I don't think they have anything, but after getting burned by some King high calls I've toned it down a notch.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought he was weak. I don't have any logic behind it. He raised me and I felt he was doing it with nothing, so I 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

so, basically, you picked off this poor guys only attempt to make a move against you...with J-high. awesome.

i too would like to see some hands where things don't go your way, however. in these 30 or so hands, you seem to have made a killing.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

For the A3 hand, I check the turn because

[/ QUOTE ]

what if the top card on the flop is say a 9/T/J, are you betting more? I would just be worried about giving up a free card to a hand with six outs very often here. is that out of line?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
thanks
Old 08-15-2005, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As for the J3 hand, I've 3 bet people plenty of times when I don't think they have anything, but after getting burned by some King high calls I've toned it down a notch.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly! i feel like i lose this hand close to every time. then again, i play in 3/6 donkeyland where no one ever folds on the river when the pot gets this big.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:22 AM

FWIW, I 3-bet with air very rarely. This is the first time I can recall doing it in a while. Don't think it's something standard that happens all the time.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:23 AM

I converted all these so I could read through them in the Preview Post thing. If anyone wants me to actually put the post up, I can do.