Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 01:03 AM

Default Did this guy get odds to bust me ?

.50/1 NL 6 max

I've got K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the button
I have $42
He has $100

I raise to $3
One caller in BB

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] pot= $7

He checks
I bet $5
He raises to $10
I call quickly.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
He bets $21
I raise all-in for $31

River:

He shows Q 8

Did he get proper odds preflop to make that call ? What would happen over 1000 times if we did it that many ? Would you be willing to get it all-in here against a LAG as he is ?
Old 08-15-2005, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Did this guy get odds to bust me ?

Obviously KK is a huge favorite over Q8.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:14 AM

did he get proper odds to call pre-flop?? uh, no he is a
4 1/2 dog and he doesnt get those odds to call, which i hope u already knew.

what is it with all of the bad beat posts?

if u want to post this hand u should be asking if your line sucks. not if Q8 has the odds to call getting 1 1/2 to 1 pre-flop.

ps: buy in with a full stack raise 4 or 5 pre-flop and punish idiots for calling with Q8 when they dont hit.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously KK is a huge favorite over Q8.

[/ QUOTE ]

No [censored]. I think that this is a question for the probability forum since it's really a math question. Given how short stacked you are, I think that this is long-term +EV for you, although I would likely raise a little bit more pre-flop, something like $4 or $5.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:15 AM

KK is a big favorite over Q 8...but he's getting around 13-1 on the call assuming he gets to stack you everytime he beats KK, his pot equity preflop is 18% and yours is 82% so yeah, he's getting odds.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:17 AM

Your raise seems small. I'd raise it to 4xBB+1BB for every limper. On the flop, minraises sometimes mean monsters so you should stop and think about what your opponent is capable of having. www.twodimes.net says you were a favorite pre-flop .87 to .13
Old 08-15-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
KK is a big favorite over Q 8...but he's getting around 13-1 on the call assuming he gets to stack you everytime he beats KK, his pot equity preflop is 18% and yours is 82% so yeah, he's getting odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pre-flop equity is irrelevant unless the situation was that he was able to get 13-1 odds closing the action with 5 cards to come (or he knew that it would get checked down and he would be able to move in on the river). The question is whether or not 13-1 implied odds is good enough to out-flop KK with Q8 and I'm just not sure, but I think that it might be close.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did he get proper odds preflop to make that call ? What would happen over 1000 times if we did it that many ? Would you be willing to get it all-in here against a LAG as he is ?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not like he knows what you have. Without having other reads, the small preflop raise and your short stack make you look weak. I'd call more raises against a player like that (maybe not with something like Q8) just because I'd think I'd be able to push you off the hand when you don't hit (obviously doesn't apply to KK) and because if you do have a hand like KK I would think I could stack you when i do hit my hand (which is what happened here). I think you have to raise more preflop.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:13 AM

As everyone has said, raise more.

A LOT of people will call with almost any 2 cards for a small enough raise. And they do so correctly if they'll get paid off when they hit.

BTW- you raise to $3. There's $4.50 in the pot. He's getting better then 2 to 1 on his call. There's a WIDE range of hands by people (especially with only 6 players) who will call getting 2 to 1.

As others have noted, beware the minraise. It generally says "I can beat top pair."
Old 08-15-2005, 02:52 AM

Would you have called or pushed all-in on the turn like I did ? He's a lag. He's the type of player I hate the most. His play is annoying. He's mostly either always raising or folding. Raises with any AX. This is 6 max. BTW, I rebought for $50 and left with $230.