Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2003, 11:31 AM

Default How did I play this hand? (newbie)

Hey all, I've been a lurker around this forum, reading a lot but haven't contributed a great deal as yet, still learning the 'craft'.

Anyway, recently I've been playing $50NL at Paradise, and doing a lot better than ring games. I have a fair idea, but am a bit blurred on the finer points. Anyway, I have a hand that I would like some comments on. Don't be too cruel on my play, but let me know where I went wrong!

Anyway, I'm in MP with 63.50 in chips with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Player 1 (13.50) immediately before me raises to $1, and I make it $2.50. My reasoning is that this size raise has been causing everyone to fold, and I am confident I can outplay this player as he appears weak. Folded to the button according to plan, BB (45) calls, Player 1 calls.

FLOP 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Checked to me, I bet the pot (7.50). BB raises it to $15, Player1 calls allin with $11. At this stage I think I've run into a big pocket pair, or even a set. After thinking about it, I fold.

What do you think of this play?

Will post result in next post
Old 08-11-2003, 11:32 AM

Default Re: How did I play this hand? (newbie)

Anyway, BB showed TT and Player1 99, meaning the pot went begging, and as luck had it a K arrived on the river.

What do you guys think?
Old 08-11-2003, 12:04 PM

Default Re: How did I play this hand? (newbie)

Hey Hef,

Some of my thoughts:

1) I would just call the preflop raise. What you did is not the equivalent of 3-betting a bad player in limit hold 'em. There is a better chance than in limit that you will not end up heads-up, and KQo is a hand where you want the pot to stay relatively small, because a larger pot can put you in a very tough spot with a very marginal hand.

2) The flop bet is straightforward.

3) How I would play the rest of the hand is COMPLETELY dependent on the other players. What kinds of hands has BB been check-raising with? How aggressive is he? Does the minimum raise mean that he's weak or strong? Would he make this play with a draw? Has Player 1 been making loose calls? Is he tilting? How do the other players perceive you? Obviously, you aren't going to know the answer to all (or even most) of these questions. But, these are the types of things that you might want to consider when making decisions such as the one that you're confronted with here.

Without knowing any of these things, here's my best advice... If BB is likely to be drawing and/or to let the rest of the hand play out cheaply after you call, I would call. If BB is going to play the rest of the hand aggressively and/or Player 1 has signified a strong hand with his call, I would fold as you did. If the other players were poor/maniacal, I would raise. If this were my first orbit at the table, I'd probably call and see what the turn brings, but I'd feel just as comfortable folding... Hope this helps.

ML4L