Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 06:01 PM

Default How thin can a value-bet get?

My very first hand at a completely unknown table. In general, the Party 0.5/1 6-max guys are about 50% VPIP and like to call with absolute crapola.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, Button checks.

Turn: (2 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, Button calls, SB folds.

River: (5 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero...

1) So...given the "typical" read of most of these players, do we like a bluff-induction or a value-bet here?
2) Does this change if it were instead HU on the river?
3) Does anyone lead the flop? I think I might get a different answer on this question if I cross-post here and in HUSH.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:09 PM

Default Re: How thin can a value-bet get?

i hate this situations as i always get called down with a better kicker or retard who can't play top pair.

usually i check/call here, but i could be wrong. i'm not folding anyone here but i risk getting reraised- which i guess should be any easy fold...bah i don't know. i say frickin' check/call [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2005, 07:24 PM

I check the flop also, but if I had a better kicker "I would" bet my jacks. The chances of the 1 of the next 2 players having the Q is probably not much more than 33% (if that high). Unfortunately, one of them having either a Q or J is much higher and practically every other J beats you too.

Given no one bet on the flop I would also bet the turn, but you obviously had to be concerned about another weak J out there (better than yours) or getting popped by a flush.

The river is a pain because these guys have obviously been playing something (maybe a weak J or a 6). I think I'd check and call. I don't think you are going to get anyone to fold a better hand by betting and there aren't many hands that will call you that don't either have you beat or chopped.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:30 PM

Its difficult to know what your opponents could have been calling with on the turn.

Obviously not top pair or a flush draw. A better Jx than yours, bottom pair, a pocket pair or a straight draw were possibilities.

You are tieing with nearly any other Jx hand and a straight draw has not been completed.

Trip 6's made on the river are a concern, but I would feel inlcined to value bet as opposed to trying to induce a bluff. Maybe a pocket pair will call.

I will be interested to hear what the HUSH posters suggest if you cross-post.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:34 PM

What is HUSH?
Old 08-14-2005, 07:46 PM

Your kicker isn't going to play. There's a Q on the board, so the only 2 better kickers are K and an A. And an AJ would probably have done more than call so far (likewise would a QJ).

A queen would have bet out on the first round, and if they were planning a check-raise they would have bet out on the second round.

I'd bet.

KO
Old 08-14-2005, 07:50 PM

This is probably one of those rare spots where you should bet in a 3-way pot and check HU. Basically what you are hoping for is that the 1st guy calls you (with either a jack or a seven) and then the 2nd guy folds instead of overcalls. A bet has very little value HU since any jack is instacalling, but one might fold here if he is forced to overcall.

Brad
Old 08-14-2005, 07:50 PM

HUSH = Heads Up / Short Handed