Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Bulking Up (Getting Ripped Before School)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I do workout my chest a little bit - I'm just not concerned with my legs. I've been walking fine for 16 years or so - no need to change them.

[/ QUOTE ]

not working your legs is one of the most anti-productive thing you can do towards achieving your goal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, don't strive to be one of those guys with a huge upper body and sticks for legs. Just looks disproportionate. Not only that, but you'll develop your upper body quicker if you work out the legs too because your body wants to retain proportions (but this is more of a long term thing).
Old 08-14-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Need some advice from the Ootsters. I'm trying to put on some muscle mass before school starts. I wouldn't mind some fat either - just hopefully more muscle than fat. I'm currently going to the Gym 3 times a week and working the arms mostly.

What supplements should I be taking to further enhance this? Any suggestions or past experiences would be extremely helpful. I'm currently 6'2 150 lbs and would like to try and be 160-165 by the end of the month. Is this unreasonable?

Thanks in advance

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Street Fighter [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you a ectomorph/hardgainer...
The most important thing to do is to maintain a proper protein intake. Fortunately hardgainers can take in more fat than their mesomorph and exomorph cousins so don't be too concerned with what you eat...but not saying to go buckwild and eat pizza and hamburgers everyday. Split your workouts to 4 days a week. For example, work your chest and shoulders on Monday, Back muscles and cardio on Tuesday, Legs on Thursday, and Arms and cardio on Friday.
4 exercises per muscle group...4 sets for the first movement of each exercise at 60% and then 3 sets for all the other exercises at whatever weight..ensure that you go to failure on the last sets of each exercise. (please use a spotter when doing exercises on chest and leg day...i.e. squats and bench)

Ensure that you are eating every 3 to 4 hours...Your protein intake is CRUCIAL....you need to be consuming up to around 245-270 grams a protein per day...religiously!!
Meal replacement shakes are good for taking some of the burden off of always having to have something to eat.
Also, after you've been consistent for about 3 months you should start to cycle in creatine to your workout....take with fruit juice every morning...pharmaceutical grade is fine. Or you could use Celltech...which although is a Muscletech product and contains a lot of dextrose...you're a hardgainer so it might be beneficial for you...if I take it I just gain unnecessary fat from the simple carbs.

Lets see anything else...Multivitamins are important...stacking legal prohormones is for when you get serious...Animal Stak makes a good supplement for this....
DO NOT TAKE THIS UNTIL YOU ARE A BALL TO THE WALL SERIOUS WEIGHTLIFTER...you only want to cycle this stuff like once or twice to break a plateau...if you take it any more than that...it could end up being detrimental to your liver.
I think that is all I can tell ya...unless I were to personally train you myself...Good Luck!
I've been a fellow weightlifter/bodybuilder for about 4 years now....it pays off...just put in the work!
Peace!
Old 08-14-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check out

http://www.ast-ss.com/max-ot/max-ot_intro.asp

It's called MAX OT and it is sweet.

dynamite

[/ QUOTE ]

this is by far the best advice in the thread.

it will show you everything you need to know, from lifting, to cardio, to diet.

follow it to a T and you should be able to put on 10lbs in 2mths or so. I didk the same with a 5'8" 150 frame.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any suggestions or past experiences would be extremely helpful. I'm currently 6'2 150 lbs and would like to try and be 160-165 by the end of the month. Is this unreasonable?

Thanks in advance

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Street Fighter [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to be 5'11" and 135 lb at full maturity. At one point I worked my way up to 190 lb, but have since slid back to something like 175 lb. So I know how this game works.

The idea that you could add 10-15 lb of muscle in your arms in a short period of time is a laugh riot.

It might be possible for someone as terribly undertrained and underweight as you to gain 10 lb in 3 months, but it would have to come mostly in the legs, chest, and back muscles. You will gain 1-2 lb max in your arms in that time.

Your appearance will be bolstered the most by adding mass all over your body. Nobody is going to be impressed - and you shouldn't be either - by a bulgy goose-egg bicep on a bird chest and stick legs and pencil neck.

Squats, bench presses, chins are your base exercises for building max muscle in min time.

eastbay
Old 08-14-2005, 01:28 PM

dont ignore your back and torso either. its where your core strength comes from.

take some protein drinks and as was mentioned before, lots of healthy calories.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:34 PM

you're not skinny.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:50 PM

When you train back you should start with pull ups and chin ups. It will be difficult with long skinny arms but worth the effort. I've done them for years and can't get past 12 or 13 quality reps but I can add plates to the waist harness (muscle fibre makeup). Pull ups, chins and the related variations improve your pull-down strength but pull-downs (gay movement IMO) don't help your pull up strength.

Beverly nutrition has the best protein IMO but it is expensive. Also, do a search for Charles Poloquins' German Volume Training. It's a good 6 week program to get you headed in the right direction.

And, once again, deadlifts and squats rule but make damn sure you know how to do them correctly so you don't destoy your back and knees. Don't take advice from some dumb ass spandex clad trainer- find the big guys in some dumpy garage style gym. They know what's up. Bro. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2005, 04:18 PM

Sounds to me your built like one of those long distance runners from Kenya, are you black?(not that there's anything wrong with that), maybe you should take up running and leave the muscles to mesomorphs like me.
Ectomorphs... the nerve of these guys

Many

P.S. I got your supplements hanging
Old 08-21-2005, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
p.s. gaining 15 pounds of muscle in a month is not possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is false.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is false.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. It is virtually impossible for the OP to gain 15 lbs of lean mass in one month, especially because of the low weight he is already at. Even with roids its virtually impossible to gain that weight in such a short amount of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may be impossible for the OP, but it is not impossible. I have done it twice and could do it again if I wanted to.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:00 PM

I've seen plenty of women gain 15 lbs. in two weeks.

But 15 lbs. of lean mass would be extraordinary. My understanding is that would probably mean something like 24 lbs. or more total, at least 8 lbs. fat.

The uncommon beginner could do something like this, but a skinny one would have a hard time. He doesn't even have all that much muscle to stimulate, and can't crank up weights heavy enough to quickly shock the system. I've put on muscle much faster when I already have a reasonable amount than when I've been super-skinny.