Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: standard?

[ QUOTE ]

im not sure im showdown committed here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe your worst post ever.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:14 PM

"Maybe your worst post ever."

i dont see why. if he bets the river and it's like 2c im not sure my hand is good here often enough for a call. this was not at commerce, they tend to have something here more than an average 40 game. and if he's betting the river it's not with 55, it's either a bluff or the nuts (A9 or better). i dont just default call down against these guys, i put the hand together in my head and look for tells they give off as to their strength or weakness. ive had a lot of success with this. but i need to call the turn to get to this point in the hand.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:29 PM

i completely agree with you mike, and I think you explained it well. I think this one is close enough that physical tells and how the opponent has played other hands could quite possibly turn this into a fold on the river if he keeps the lead.

That said I am calling this down ~90% of the time.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

the flop is 9c7c3s. checked to me and i bet. sb checkraises, bb folds, i call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would either fold or 3 bet, leaning a bit more toward 3-bet.

I think that makes playing this hand easier once the turn comes.

Lawrence
Old 08-13-2005, 06:50 PM

It's usually better for your image to not fold to flop checkraises. So whenever you have a close decision (and I'm not saying this one is close) it's good to call or 3 bet instead of folding.

From my short experience playing with mike l., he's a "non-folder". People play different against players who they perceive to rarely fold. They become more passive and less tricky.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How does this make playing the turn easier? If we 3-bet then we definitely have no information for the rest of the hand and we might just be blindly throwing in bets. If we 3-bet against a 9 old guy will love to just check-call us to the river so we still aren't sure what to do when we hit our 'miracle' 8.

On the other hand, when we 3-bet the flop we stop him from betting a 7 or even 44,55,66 to the river. Considering the descriptions of the players and that it's 6-handed am I the only one who thinks sb could have a hand like A3, 44,55,66?

I just have trouble seeing the value in putting in 2 more flop bets when we aren't that happy with the odds to put in 1 more flop bet. Old guy isn't going away, even with A high according to the description.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How does this make playing the turn easier? If we 3-bet then we definitely have no information for the rest of the hand and we might just be blindly throwing in bets. If we 3-bet against a 9 old guy will love to just check-call us to the river so we still aren't sure what to do when we hit our 'miracle' 8.

On the other hand, when we 3-bet the flop we stop him from betting a 7 or even 44,55,66 to the river. Considering the descriptions of the players and that it's 6-handed am I the only one who thinks sb could have a hand like A3, 44,55,66?

I just have trouble seeing the value in putting in 2 more flop bets when we aren't that happy with the odds to put in 1 more flop bet. Old guy isn't going away, even with A high according to the description.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just going by Mike's description of the player here to deduce what the best play should be based on the current action of the hand.

I'm not saying that the SB doesn't have a 9 here or better, but I'm also saying that he could also have a flush and overcard draw, a smaller pair, a bluff, an about another 2352349 hands based on Mike's description. Part of playing a tricky player that is OOP is to understand that the range of hands they will c/r a late position with are huge.

3 betting also puts the ball back in Mike's control which is a key factor in this hand against this opponent.

Lawrence