Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 10:03 AM

Default A bunny

5-10nl 6-max. I have $1100 and am smothered and covered by opponent. Fold to me, I raise the button to $30 with ATo. BB calls. Pot's $65. Flop is K95 rainbow. Check, bet $40, checkraise to $100. Hmm. I reraise to $225. Fold.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:16 AM

Default Re: A bunny

Are these types of play standard at the 5/10 blinds nl level? If so, I have a feeling Ill be run over when I play my TAG staregy. What if opponent calls your 3 bet, would you continue on turn for one last attempt of give up and try to hit something by the river?
Old 08-13-2005, 11:31 AM

works for me. i take it you're shutting down shop if he calls the reraise?
Old 08-13-2005, 01:45 PM

Many players in the 5/10nl six-max games on Party will start check-raising loose preflop raisers with weak made hands/draws and fire weakly on the turn if you call. Those who do it too frequently are easily exploited by making expensive but very profitable resteals.

On this board, vs. a dumb opponent I'd probably just 3bet the flop and expect to take it down ~75%+ and give up if called. Vs. smarter opponents I'd wait until the turn to raise if I assign them a hand range that includes many holdings they clearly aren't committed to (either because they attempt 'resteals' too frequently or they're just generally weak-tight) vs. me (meaning, they don't assign me a hand range w/too many bluffs. knowing when this happens is key to making these expensive moves profitable.).

Anyway, I like the play assuming certain conditions are present. Size of raise looks perfect.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:55 PM

What made hands will you three-bet this flop with?
Old 08-13-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are these types of play standard at the 5/10 blinds nl level? If so, I have a feeling Ill be run over when I play my nut peddling staregy. What if opponent calls your 3 bet, would you continue on turn for one last attempt of give up and try to hit something by the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp
Old 08-13-2005, 03:39 PM

adn- In a six max game you need to loosen up. A/ten is very playable here, and these banters back and forth are standard on flops. The betting is small relative to stack sizes, but these smaller pots with c/r and r/r bluffs are dangerous because it's easy to over commit with tptk.
Flynn- Nh
Waco- nh, too. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5-10nl 6-max. I have $1100 and am smothered and covered by opponent. Fold to me, I raise the button to $30 with ATo. BB calls. Pot's $65. Flop is K95 rainbow. Check, bet $40, checkraise to $100. Hmm. I reraise to $225. Fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm. I believe it was Yeti who commented a while back that in the vast majority of instances that someone three-bets an Axx or Kxx flop in a heads up pot, they're full of [censored]? I think he's on to something here.

That said, here's why I think Mr. Flynn's selective aggression was successful in this case. First, he raises button. This could be a lot of hands, I'm assuming, and villain, knowing this, calls the $20 with perhaps a slightly smaller range, but still a pretty large one.

The flop comes w/ one high card and no draws, which always makes for an interesting game of cat and mouse in loose, aggressive games. Flynn leads weak, just less than 2/3 the pot, a bet I'm guessing he makes w/ 67s, AK, KKK, 999 and everything in between on this board.

Villain sees the bet as weak, however, and raises a little. In my mind, I would guess that this is a 9, a pocket pair, or a weak king most of the time. Sometimes it's air, and sometimes it's a set or AK or so.

Flynn sees the size of villain's raise and says to himself, "Hmmmm. That does not look like an I have a hand w/ which I want to commit a lot of chips on later streets type of raise. I shall reraise."

Villain says, "Crap. I guess he does have a king after all, one with a good kicker, and I don't feel comfortable playing for his stack w/ my cards." And he folds like a little girl.

And herein lies the awesome power of utilizing position and imaginative thinking in LAG play; Flynn, seeing the size of villain's flop CR and interpreting it (correctly) as weak and non-committal, sends villain the message that he will be faced not only w/ this $125 raise, but a big bet on the turn and river, as well. It becomes rather difficult to play on at this point w/ 89s, 1010, Kh6h, no?

(Btw, Matt, if villain had CR'd to, say, $150-175, you wouldn't even dream of making this play, would you?)
Old 08-13-2005, 04:04 PM

Well, I'd be tempted to raise the turn if the stacks were deep enough. But that's a low percentage.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:49 PM

such a fluffy bunny...