Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Something kind of new for me

I think the factor you are not looking at is that I am going to minimize my losses when he does have TP or something like that. I am only going to put in 3 sb on the flop and fold the river UI. If i just call him down I have to put in 2 SB plus 2 more BB's as well. I also have a hard time calling a river bet with A high expecially if a scare card comes on the turn or river. For this reason I like to 3 bet and just get him to either fold it here or at least take a free turn to hit my A.

Phy1234
Old 08-13-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the factor you are not looking at is that I am going to minimize my losses when he does have TP or something like that. I am only going to put in 3 sb on the flop and fold the river UI. If i just call him down I have to put in 2 SB plus 2 more BB's as well. I also have a hard time calling a river bet with A high expecially if a scare card comes on the turn or river. For this reason I like to 3 bet and just get him to either fold it here or at least take a free turn to hit my A.

Phy1234

[/ QUOTE ]

Many players will call your flop 3bet because they don't like to fold on the same round they put bets in - even with bluffing hands, just trying to hit a pair. When you check through the turn these players will almost always bet the river regardless of holding, putting you on a "draw," so you aren't saving bets at all - him calling your 3bet doesn't mean you're beat.

Surf
Old 08-14-2005, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You aren't folding worse hands. When it "works" you would have much preferred he bet the turn + river erroneously as a (semi)bluff and earn yourself 2 more BBs with the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you mean you aren't folding better hands... I agree with the possible exception of A5-A7 and A9.

The times he folds two other unpaired cards, though, he's folding incorrectly getting 9-1 with at least six outs. The danger of going into calldown mode when he raises the flop is that he might be taking a freebie on the turn and be able to fold the river unimproved. If that is his plan, then he's getting 3-1 odds to see two cards and will likely get a bet out of you when he pairs up, so 4-1 including implied odds. (There will be times you both improve and you win and times he improves on the turn and gets two bets from you; let's assume they even out.) With six outs versus your rather few redraws he must have better than a 20% chance of winning so he's not making a mistake when he takes this line. So reraising this guy is better.

Just a thought.

Guy.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You aren't folding worse hands. When it "works" you would have much preferred he bet the turn + river erroneously as a (semi)bluff and earn yourself 2 more BBs with the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you mean you aren't folding better hands... I agree with the possible exception of A5-A7 and A9.

The times he folds two other unpaired cards, though, he's folding incorrectly getting 9-1 with at least six outs. The danger of going into calldown mode when he raises the flop is that he might be taking a freebie on the turn and be able to fold the river unimproved. If that is his plan, then he's getting 3-1 odds to see two cards and will likely get a bet out of you when he pairs up, so 4-1 including implied odds. (There will be times you both improve and you win and times he improves on the turn and gets two bets from you; let's assume they even out.) With six outs versus your rather few redraws he must have better than a 20% chance of winning so he's not making a mistake when he takes this line. So reraising this guy is better.

Just a thought.

Guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. Nice analysis Guy, I have to think on this more.

Surf