Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 01:05 PM

Default When to give up on Semi-Bluffs

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em <font color="blue">(10 handed)</font>

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (5.5 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG+2 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG+2 checks, <font color="red">Hero checks</font>

River: (3.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG+2 checks, <font color="red">Hero checks</font>

UTG+2 shows T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero wins main pot (3.25 BB)

I have this leak in my game. I know exactly when and when-not to semi-bluff on the flop. But sometimes, i'll get a caller, and I'll just check the turn and not follow through on my semi-bluff.

I read the section on whether or not one should continue semi-bluffing on the turn in HFAP, but they sort off just discuss the pros and cons of each, and leave the answer up in the air.

What is a good general guideline on whether one should continue semi-bluffing on the turn? Maybe you could list some examples of when you definitely shouldn't (i.e. [just as an example] 1. stop semi-bluffing when the top card on the board pairs on the river, 2. etc.)

Note: I dont really want any discussion on the particular hand I posted. I just posted the hand to give an example of how I'll give up semi-bluffing and possibly give free cards to an opponent to outdraw me.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Re: When to give up on Semi-Bluffs

well i don't even think of these hands in terms of semi bluffing. you raised PF against a limper and have it HU. a flop and turn bet are very, very standard. He has shown no strength and often people will peel one off on the flop, you need to be betting these turns, especially against passive opponents. you probably still have the best hand as well.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is a good general guideline on whether one should continue semi-bluffing on the turn? Maybe you could list some examples of when you definitely shouldn't (i.e. [just as an example] 1. stop semi-bluffing when the top card on the board pairs on the river, 2. etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally speaking, you are better off betting the turn vs. either loose/passive players (who will be calling with any draw or just an ace) or against good, thinking opponents who are capable of laying down an underpair if you show strength on 3 consecutive streets. You do not (usually) want to throw out a bet with ace high against a very aggressive or tricky opponent...the type that is capable of check/raising the turn with a hand you beat, or at least have 6 good outs against. It's important to note that when you check through against these types of opponents HU, you need to be prepared to call a river bet UI from time to time; part of the reason you're checking through is to induce a bluff from a missed draw.

As for general situations where I quit betting...if I have 3 or more callers on the flop I will usually check through or check/call; if an obvious flop draw completes on the turn, I'm not going to bet A high or an underpair; or if my table image sucks (usually from being called too often when betting the turn with A high), I might not bother betting the turn. I will always vary my play, so every so often I'll check the turn even if I would normally bet (and vice versa). I'll also check through every once in a while with a made hand, generally only if I'm HU, so that my opponents can't just assume I whiffed every time I don't bet the turn.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:56 PM

On a hand like the one you posted, I'll usually keep betting at least through the turn. You're heads-up, and it's extremely unlikely that such a board did much for him. Plus, by betting the turn, it's likely that even if he calls, he'll check the river and you can show down your ace high if he missed his draw. If you check the turn, he could easily interpret your check as weakness and make you call a bet with an uncomfortable ace high hand.

Whether I continue semi-bluffing heads up is completely dependent on the board. If there are many obvious draws/medium-high cards that could have easily hit him and missed me, then I'm going to give it up.

If I have 3 or more opponents, unless the board is extremely ragged, then I'm probably going to give up the semi-bluff.