Old 08-12-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Poker \"career\" conundrum

THIS IS A GRRREAT POST, cant wait to read the dissertation
Old 08-12-2005, 03:14 PM

Look at www.pokermods.com
Old 08-12-2005, 03:14 PM

I had the same issue. The problem with 2/4 is that the money starts to become more "real". It's difficult to deal with a $200 downswing at 1/2 but a $400 one at 2/4 just seems much worse.

Move up when you are ready, not because your bankroll dictactes. There's nothing wrong with taking a shot and moving back down if it doesn't work out either.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:22 PM

You'll know when you're ready to move up. It's not a question of being immune to the swings, it's when your confidence and commitment are such that you're prepared to feel uncomfortable for a while. Such is life. Discomfort necessarily accompanies growth.

It might help to remind yourself that the consequences of failure are only that you get to do what you would have been doing anyway had you not moved up -- grinding away at 1/2. And I'd be willing to bet that the return engagement will be much shorter. You'll never again see 1/2 in the same light after putting in a significant stint higher.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

*edit: note to self: learn to spell, jackass
Old 08-12-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look at www.pokermods.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Thx.

But the orginal poster talked about a mod that could change the bet sizes to sb/bb instead of the monetary value.

Anyone knows about that?

And is it possible to change the size of the tables with a mod on party and crypto skins?
Old 08-12-2005, 03:35 PM

I believe that the answer to both your questions is, "not possible."
Old 08-12-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that the answer to both your questions is, "not possible."

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. Too bad.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:08 PM

SS forum post
Old 08-12-2005, 05:40 PM

there are a lot of factors that hold people back when it comes to moving up, in large part your opponents aren't the reason you can't make the move .. the skill jump in opponents does exist, but its not very large at least not till you start getting up into midlimits

so what really holds ppl back

overconfidence: in that you consider yourself much better than the competition, which isn't true for almost all of us, yes our opponents may be horrible and we have a positive expectation in the game but thanks to the rake, your edge over even very bad players is not that big .. and can disappear if you are careless.

entitlement: thinking that you deserve to win, flat out wrong, you need to work hard, study and play well for the money, this isn't a hand out free money game(well bonuses/rakeback aside) this idea applies to individual hands as well, yes you have AA guess what you will lose around 1/5times with it, and likely lose a fair amount, yes you flopped a set its gonna lose sometimes too

jumping headfirst into the new level, and playing too many tables: it seems like everyone that moves up, totally abadons the level that they came from, like they are too good for it now that they are this big 2/4 player, don't think that way. I think a much better approach is to cutdown on the number of tables and slowly easy your way into a new level, and only sit at good tables at the new limit, if you can't find a good table(or a good seat at a good table) DON'T play that limit right now, find a table at your "old" limit, be pretty picky at first, get your feet wet, before worring about jumping in. once you gain a better comfort level loosen up your restrictions some.

play tight in the blinds when first starting: when you move up, play tight in the blinds till you get a good idea of how the average players play, you can still play a good broad range in the CO and OTB since you have position, I'm not suggesting to become a rock, but playing marginal hands OOP at a level you are new at likely isn't gonna help your cause.

set aside 50-100BB and 1table the new level, don't expect to win, don't force yourself to play the level, but focus on your opponents, and making the best decisions possible, if you lose or if you feel like you are being outplayed or ran over, drop back down and take another shot at a later time, with more experience under your belt .. you can be fairly aggressive taking shots as long as you are willing to drop down if things don't go well
Old 08-12-2005, 05:43 PM

I have to agree with most here... move up when you're ready. I've got about 65K hands in my db with about 30k at .5/1 and about 20k at 1/2 and about 12K at 2/4. Last month, I tried 3/6 for about 1000 hands, I did great, but I hated it, I wasn't comfortable, I doubted a lot of my plays and quite frankly I just wasn't ready for what my bankroll was ready for... I went back to 2/4 and I'm going to sit here for at least another month or more until I know I'm ready to move up.

GL at the tables :-) and thank god for PP.