Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Ever experience this? [Includes hand examples]

You have a profound misunderstanding of poker. You will never be able to beat the game unless you seek a deeper understanding of what's actually happening. You might as well be talking about ghosts or UFOs... with the language you are using to describe what you think is real.

The good news is that everything you need to know to understand the game has been written, at one time or another, on this forum. People have even been patient enough to provide you with links in this thread.

Get it fixed, or live in agony forever.

Irieguy
Old 08-12-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is a cruel mistress. There is in the short term no linear correlation with how big a favourite you are when you put your chips in the middle and how much money you win.

[/ QUOTE ]

which is precisely why i don't understand the logic in being happy as [censored] taking one suckout against 15 under the guise of, "at least i got my money in with the best of it" OVER TIME . that's not a short term situation. even in the short term, you still have to explode in that 1 in order to withstand 15 against. i don't see that as being +EV.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have a profound misunderstanding of poker. You will never be able to beat the game unless you seek a deeper understanding of what's actually happening. You might as well be talking about ghosts or UFOs... with the language you are using to describe what you think is real.

The good news is that everything you need to know to understand the game has been written, at one time or another, on this forum. People have even been patient enough to provide you with links in this thread.

Get it fixed, or live in agony forever.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

links to what thread?
Old 08-12-2005, 02:02 PM

Party is rigged... I suggest quitting poker now before you drop 15 buyins.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:05 PM

Reviewing hand histories can be a little tricky when you are trying to analyze bad beats. Make sure to give yourself some distance (in the form of time) from the event, and try to identify the places where you got the money in with the best of it and when you had the worst of it. My ego tends to blind me to the occasions where I sucked out, or didn't have the right odds to be involved. It's something I've tried to work on very actively. Turns out I suck out my fair share! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this was on PS. thanks for the word of caution. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Poker is a cruel mistress. There is in the short term no linear correlation with how big a favourite you are when you put your chips in the middle and how much money you win.

[/ QUOTE ]

which is precisely why i don't understand the logic in being happy as [censored] taking one suckout against 15 under the guise of, "at least i got my money in with the best of it" OVER TIME . that's not a short term situation. even in the short term, you still have to explode in that 1 in order to withstand 15 against. i don't see that as being +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then, no offense, you still have a lot to learn.

When on a downswing, (and 12 is nothing), it is important to examine how your play is...If you are constantly, 1. getting in with the best of it, and 2. doing number 1 when it is +EV ($) in that particular situation then you have nothing to worry about. IOW, you are getting upset about something that is out your control and as long as you play correctly, time will alleviate all of your woes. ("Time" here respresents larger statistical samples).

Back to your original complaint, 11 BIs is nothing really to worry about. Im down 20 over 2 weeks and about 100 SNGs and have moved down...big deal, it sucks, but I also realize along the way that I might be forming bad habits and Im glad I have some bad runs bc otherwise I wouldnt do "enough" self analysis. The first time this happened, I was crushed, this time, I know it will get better, and I know I am a winning player...

Thats what it means when he said you should be happy you had the best of it 15 times, it means you are a winning player having a string of bad luck...welcome to cards...geez, you should know this. Not trying to be condescending, but its true.

p
Old 08-12-2005, 02:13 PM

Default John

[ QUOTE ]
Turns out I suck out my fair share!

[/ QUOTE ]

this is where you and me differ.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this was on PS. thanks for the word of caution. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

PS is less rigged... only if Lee Jones hates you. Did you you sleep with his wife?
Old 08-12-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thats what it means when he said you should be happy you had the best of it 15 times, it means you are a winning player having a string of bad luck...welcome to cards...geez, you should know this. Not trying to be condescending, but its true.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, i already know this. however, using 1 suckout against 15 and saying you should be happy, IMHO, is a bad example to make your point with. i don't see how anyone can be happy with this math scenario.