Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Re: in trouble

Good constructive post. I agree. If you work the same type of meaningless hamster job as me then they should have a hotline where you can call and get help at no charge. Or you can use your medical insurance, they pay a good portion of the fees. I am checking back into AA myself.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:22 PM

I think you should definitely seek some profesional help. Just somebody to talk to, like a therapist, can make a big difference. Even if your depression is situational a medical doctor might advise a temporary treatment - like 6 months - with an antidepressant. It's hard getting started with the kinds of changes you need to make while in the midst of depression. But you may not need it. Exercise is by far the simplest, most natural, and effective antidepressant available if you can get yourself started on it. A lot of good ideas from the other posters. Getting invloved with people via community service, or participation in an interesting organization will help. If Alchohol is causing any kind of problem in your life then AA is a natural organization to get involved with.

imo, Even for winning players Poker is very tough on a person emotionally and psychologically. If you are not emotionally and psychologically fit I don't think you should play poker, especially if your poker results have a vital impact on your finances. The Upswings and Downswings can be awful emotional whipsaws.

Please follow through by doing something in a positive direction for yourself and keep us posted here on how you are doing.

Sincere Regards,

PairTheBoard
Old 08-12-2005, 05:13 AM

Congratulations! You are ready for omaha8b.

As far as sleep, it's important to jerk it before bedtime, and not during the day.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:06 PM

I echo Pairtheboard's excellent post. Especially, I think playing poker is far too dangerous for you right now. Don't even play another minute. Depression, alcohol and gambling are an explosive combination.

Try to do the opposite of what you posted: Don't drink. Don't gamble. Seek out a friend, even just one. Stop bemoaning how much life sucks. Get lots of sleep. Eat well. Get outside, especially if you can get out in nature, out of the city.

Sleep deprivation, alcohol toxicity (usually combined with lack of good nutrition) create by themselves a negative, depressed psychological state. Just by correcting these two you might find your mood much improved.

I wish you success. Let us know how you do.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:42 PM

I will echo the echo.

If this is truly your current state of affairs, then I would strongly suggest getting some professional help - counselling or a psychiatrist - though I find psychiatrists these days tend to be mostly prescription writers - though that may not be a bad thing in your case.

And yeah - I would step back from the poker for a while - and from the sounds of it, I would step back from the bottle too.

Don't despair though - I know many people who have been far worse off than you are who have gotten everything back together and moved on to be very happy and well-adjusted people.

As the saying goes, "In the deck of life, no one gets 52 aces"