Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2003, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Stupid, related, newbie question

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea how it is seemingly a no brainer to you guys that 3 bets is right.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is the right move simply becuase he has the best hand.
Hold em is a situational game. Given enough time at the table, you will see just about every situation come up at least multiple times. Certain things become very clear to those with a lot of table experience, and this is one of them. If someone caps its, we will start to doubt our assessment.

Stu

Old 08-07-2003, 07:25 PM

Certain things become very clear to those with a lot of table experience, and this is one of them.

Everyone...except me that is... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-- Homer "my brain is the size of a peanut" Simpson

mmmmmm....peanuts.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:48 PM

Here is the idea:

Hand value is relative according to the situation. On the flop his hand looks only OK. If the action is a bet and a raise to you it is obvious that your holding has decreased in value. Once 4 opponents check to you and there is only one opponent left to act, the value of your second pair has increased to a good hand that you can bet for value/protection.

The concept has many places it can be applied. See if you can find a few in your next session.

I hope this helps,

Allan
Old 08-07-2003, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems that every shark is recommending a 3-bet on the turn. As a beginner to the game, I have to admit that I have no idea how it is seemingly a no brainer to you guys that 3 bets is right. Care to elaborate and help the new guy out? Why for instance is a bet/check an inferior play?

Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well he can't bet/check because by the time its got round to him on the turn theres already been a bet and a raise.

Cold calling raises is generally a bad idea unless you have the pot odds for the nut flush or something. So he can fold if he thinks he's beaten or reraise. Reraising seems to be the obvious play as he holds a good but very vulnerable hand. The checks on the flop probably mean people are now betting their aces with weak kickers and so his hand still looks like it could be enough to win.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:01 PM

Default Re: Your move

The flop bet is pretty easy...most kings will bet. Don't fear monsters under the bed imo. You got yourself into a tough spot on the turn by not betting the flop and seeing where you stood. Now it's tough to know what to do. And it depends if the players are real apt to just raise one pair on the turn after the flop is checked because they think they're against a steal (you said they're loose aggressive). But the pot is relatively small, and it could get reraised. Also an A10 gutshot coulda got there for free on the turn...plus kings-up seems possible. I'd fold the turn if the players were reasonable but would probably reraise with the LA player in the mix. But I wouldn't be in that spot in the first place.

Jeff

Old 08-08-2003, 12:09 AM

I figured your were just playing with Mr Kissingers glasses again.

Stu
Old 08-08-2003, 06:08 AM

Hi Stu

I sense wit and a funny anecdote behind this comment, but have no clue. Could you enlighten me?
Old 08-08-2003, 08:06 AM

Homie,

Hands down I bet this flop 100% of the time.

Therefore, I'm unable to answer the turn question since I feel my folp bet would not have put me in this situation. (Yes, I'm a coward [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
Old 08-08-2003, 08:23 AM

reraise, at the very least you might get a check on the river.

baseball38 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2003, 10:23 AM

I 3-bet. I'd consider betting the flop, especially if the button will fold to it.