Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Should I have bailed sooner?

I'm fairly new to online poker and have been working my way up from nanolimits to just breaking into .5/1. I just got my clock cleaned for 40BB in a single session and want to post a couple of hands to see what folks think of my reasoning. The game was very loose.
Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 calls, Hero calls, CO calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, CO calls.

River: (11.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, MP1 folds, Hero folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 17.50 BB

Flop gave me top pair, reasonable kicker. No one raised PF so I'm guessing there's no high pocket pairs. The raise on the flop could be just about anything but pocket 4,8, or two pair seem likely. I call the raise. The turn pairs the board. I check and call the bet figuring 7 outs to trips or top two pair. I suspect I should have bailed here, but didn't. The river was a blank and I folded to the bets. (The button had 48o,and hit a full house. The CO stayed to the end with A high - I said the game was loose.)
Did I play like a total fish?
Old 08-11-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Should I have bailed sooner?

Raise the flop, different hand from there.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:17 PM

You gotta raise the flop here to protect your hand. If you're not sure what that means, then you gotta read this book.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:19 PM

You meant to point to SSH not the books section right?

Anyway as mentioned you need to bet that flop, when playing Top Pair type hands and you hit your pair, you need to consider that a good flop.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:23 PM

I probably fold this preflop in mid position. If it were suited, I would play it. As it is, I play QTo on the Button but probably not before.

Once you get to the flop, you must raise. MP1's bet puts you in a perfect position to protect your hand by making the rest of the field face two cold. If anyone 3-bets I call and fold the turn unimproved.

The rest of the hand plays out differently if you raise the flop, but assuming that the flop isn't 3-bet:

On the turn, you can't give anyone credit for an 8 yet, so I would lead out, and call down if raised. Otherwise, bet the river as well.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You meant to point to SSH not the books section right?

[/ QUOTE ]
When I click the link it does point directly to SSH (in the books section). Hmm...

Anyway, yeah, that's what I was going for. The bet came from your immediate right, so raise here to make it unprofitable for gutshots and overcards to draw.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:35 PM

Yeah when I click it, it just goes to the Books section, not to any specific one ... may be cookie related.

Anyway I don't think you should play this pf, it is a marginal hand which makes second best pair too often.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Did I play like a total fish?

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm yeah. At least you knew enough to post it and get help though so who cares. We all do it from time to time.

My advice....

Fold that crap pf. Weak offsuit broadway holdings like this aren't profitable in middle postition even with a couple loose limpers ahead of you.

You gotta raise the flop. You have top pair weak kicker and are very vulnerable. Protect your hand and make weaker holdings pay! If button 3-bets you know you're in trouble.

Turn is very iffy but OK I guess.

The river is goot! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2005, 11:08 AM

Thanks for the replies. I have read through SSHE once, and am studying it now. Having caught my pair on the flop, I should have raised to protect it. But in this game it wouldn't have matttered. Several of the players were raising, reraising and capping like it was play money. It wouldn't have mattered. What I really should have done was gotten out of this game. .5/1 was play money to them, but real to me.

Thanks. I'll be back.