Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Is the action drying up on Party Poker?

[ QUOTE ]
hence the phrase semi-retire....................

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't think it's that easy. From the CRA website:

CRA Link

Gambling Profits

10. Profits derived from bookmaking or from the operation of any gambling establishment (carried on legally or otherwise) constitute income from a business. In addition, an individual may be subject to tax on income derived from gambling itself, if the gambling activities constitute carrying on the business of gambling; see the decision of MNR v. Morden, (1961) CTC 484, 61 DTC 1266 (Ex. Ct.). The issue of whether or not an individual's activities are such that he or she can be considered to be carrying on a gambling business is a question of fact that can be determined only by an examination of all of the circumstances and the taxpayer's entire course of conduct. Although no one factor may be conclusive, the following criteria should be considered in making the determination:

(a) the degree of organization that is present in the pursuit of this activity by the taxpayer,

(b) the existence of special knowledge or inside information that enables the taxpayer to reduce the element of chance,

(c) the taxpayer's intention to gamble for pleasure as compared with any intention to gamble for profit as a means of gaining a livelihood, and

(d) the extent of the taxpayer's gambling activities, including the number and frequency of bets.

A 2+2er playing semi-pro would definitely qualify I would think.. (Unfortunately)
Old 08-11-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like many I aspire to go pro someday but wonder if the opportunity will still be there for me in say a year or two once my game has improved enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

The opportunity will always be there. Dedicated players have been playing pro since long before the internet. Maybe it won't be as easy or low-risk to win, but wouldn't that be boring if it was easy?
Old 08-11-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Like many I aspire to go pro someday but wonder if the opportunity will still be there for me in say a year or two once my game has improved enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

The opportunity will always be there. Dedicated players have been playing pro since long before the internet. Maybe it won't be as easy or low-risk to win, but wouldn't that be boring if it was easy?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2005, 02:00 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

clearly all of the donks think they got better and have moved up in limits. give 5/10 or 10/20 a try.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:03 PM

Great comments guys. I really appreciate those who have taken the time to share their perspective, whimsical, tax advice, sarcasm, whit etc. I look forward to being a part of the community. (If for no other reason than to lower ht quality of the dialogue) in the future.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(If for no other reason than to lower ht quality of the dialogue) in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this guy already...

Good stuff.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:06 PM

So I can give you action?
I ain't ready to fly yet.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:40 PM

No, it's fine.
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.33 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (6.66 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 8.66 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has Th Ks (high card, king).
Hero has Jh Kh (one pair, jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins 8.66 BB. </font>
Old 08-11-2005, 10:24 PM

I just saw someone cold call 3 preflop with 53 and take down a 34 BB pot. So I'm going to change my answer to definitely not. Although, they were suited.