Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 11:12 AM

Default Raising Turn for A Free Showdown

I am having a lot of trouble defining when this situation is correct. I never do it and would be interested in learning when it is correct to use.

Please help.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Raising Turn for A Free Showdown

I probably do it too much. If I have a hand I want to see a showdown with (top pair, no kicker for instance). I'll frequently raise the turn and take a free showdown. This becomes even more attractive when I also pick up a draw on the turn. By raising the turn, I can get a free showdown with my pair, but if I make my draw I can bet for value on the river.

I don't have empirical evidence, but I've found at 6-max I seem to get more free showdowns than I'll get free cards by raising the flop. Reverse of what I've seen at 10-handed. Might just be my perception though.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:25 AM

Are these typically hands that you would fold to a 3-bet and fold to a donk bet UI on the river?
Old 08-11-2005, 11:28 AM

What makes this a more valuable play is that you think there is a chance they will fold.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are these typically hands that you would fold to a 3-bet and fold to a donk bet UI on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I've picked up a nut draw, I won't fold to a 3-bet, but otherwise, yes, I'll typically fold to a 3-bet barring a read that it's a maniac.

The river donkbet is a tough one. I tend to call typically because by then the pot is big enough that I can't fold. I see an awful lot of river donk bluff bets, enough that if it's HU I almost have to call with top pair regardless.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:38 PM

King Yao has a great discussion of the concept on pp. 208-209 in his book. Key points.

1. Your hand is worthy of a showdown, but might be behind
2. Your hand could improve on the river, thus giving you the opportunity to bet again.
3. The chances of getting three-bet on the turn or donk-betted on the river are low, given this opponent or the board
4. The opponent is not a habitual bluffer, who would bet the river with a busted hand if you only called.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:38 PM

In HU pots I find that this move is overrated. More often than not it's correct to just call the turn and river bets. It will induce worse hands to continue betting, avoids facing a 3bet, and allows a bluff to fire another round.

I think they are more useful in certain multiway situations when you have position. Here's a hand I posted earlier today where it might be more relevant (and even here, there's still debate on a value bet for the river)

Turn raise for free showdown example