Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Need some strategy advice on this format

300 players - $100+$20 buy-in (B&M) gets you 1,500 in chips
One $100 add-on (can only happen in first hour) gets you 1,000 additional chips.

Blinds start at 25/50 and go up every half hour.

So, do I
- take the add-on from the start to play with a comfy stack?
- wait on the add-on just in case I take a bad beat or want to gamble to accumulate early?
- play aggressive/tight/passive/loose based on strcuture only? (I know there will be other implications based on table etc.)

But, mostly, I want some advice on that add-on.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Need some strategy advice on this format

From what you describe I would be inclined to take the 1000 add-on right away...if you know you're going to buy it later. Having 1000 more chips than some players (other will probably add-on immediately) is a nice advantage. Then with 50xBB I would generally play tight, while trying to see cheap flops with connectors, suited connectors, Axs...hands with good implied odds. But that part depends on how the rest of the table is playing.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:30 PM

take it right away
Old 08-11-2005, 12:46 PM

If you're gonna take it, take it right away. Yeah, you might get all your chips in and take a bad beat be someone who has you covered, but you might also get all your chips in and have your hand stand up against someone who has you covered, and having failed to take the addon will cost you $1000 in the latter case (which is, of course, more likely).

I think one could make a pretty sound argument for not taking the addon at all, though, given that the chips are more expensive than the starting chips. In order for the add-on to have pos expectation, you would have to double the average, long-term amount you cash in this tourney by virtue of the add-on. any thoughts on this?

[ QUOTE ]
300 players - $100+$20 buy-in (B&M) gets you 1,500 in chips
One $100 add-on (can only happen in first hour) gets you 1,000 additional chips.

Blinds start at 25/50 and go up every half hour.

So, do I
- take the add-on from the start to play with a comfy stack?
- wait on the add-on just in case I take a bad beat or want to gamble to accumulate early?
- play aggressive/tight/passive/loose based on strcuture only? (I know there will be other implications based on table etc.)

But, mostly, I want some advice on that add-on.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-11-2005, 02:55 PM

I would only take it right away if 2 or more players were doing the same. You want to be able to double your full stack, but you can't if nobody else has the chips. Basically, as soon as there are two stacks on your table you could double the extra 1000 through you need to have it in front of you. But if nobody takes it immediately and you happen to catch a rush you may be able to pass on it.